Is this going to work?

Thank you guys for your help!
I realized that I could just bring the dog crate down and keep him in that so he cant chase the girls, yet they can all see and talk to each other. I have been letting him out with them a few times a day so he can go swimming and be social but he is still being fresh. He got along with the Swede right away and now he is even being aggressive with her... Does this head vibrate thing and thrusts his neck on her... and the mix he still will not let her near the food or the Swede... Is this something I am going to have to just live with or will it get better in time? I feel really bad for my girls, they have been so happy and playful and I throw this guy in there and he is making my mix scared and not social... ;0(

I realized that I could just bring the dog crate down and keep him in that so he cant chase the girls, yet they can all see and talk to each other. I have been letting him out with them a few times a day so he can go swimming and be social but he is still being fresh. He got along with the Swede right away and now he is even being aggressive with her... Does this head vibrate thing and thrusts his neck on her... and the mix he still will not let her near the food or the Swede... Is this something I am going to have to just live with or will it get better in time? I feel really bad for my girls, they have been so happy and playful and I throw this guy in there and he is making my mix scared and not social... ;0(
My drakes can be real pains but they haven't carried it to this extreme about not letting one of the girls eat, but since I have 43 in my flock not all ducks I have many feeders and water buckets out. might make a difference, have you tried putting out more than one feeder and bucket for water? I'm thinking the neck vibrating is a breeding thing, Hopefully as summer begins to fade away he will be calmer, does he mate with the girls or just torment them? and drakes are not the sweetest things when it comes to mating, they have only one thing on their minds. and they can be pretty assertive about getting it. other than keeping him separated from them all the time or rehoming him and just having the girls your options are pretty limited.

Last edited:
I have had this work with my big boys that get a little too randy - Along with yelling his name, I squirt him with a water hose. After a few times, he will usually give me a disgusted look and finally walk away. Of course, I have a pretty large area so there is a lot of room to get away. Introducing a new boy of mating age can be difficult though and if he doesn't develop better manners you may have to find him a new home.

Good luck.

Here's an update of the duck situation!!!
Everyone is doing well! I kept Ming in the old dog crate in the duck pen for a few days and would let him out with me when I got home. He was a punk for a few days but slowly stopped. I've let him out all day for the last few days with the girls and they seem to be doing awesome!!
I refilled the water in their pool this morning and this is what I saw!!!

Everyone was getting along and happy!! ;0)
I'm going to put him in the house with the girls tonight and hope it works out well!

Here's an update of the duck situation!!!
Everyone is doing well! I kept Ming in the old dog crate in the duck pen for a few days and would let him out with me when I got home. He was a punk for a few days but slowly stopped. I've let him out all day for the last few days with the girls and they seem to be doing awesome!!
I refilled the water in their pool this morning and this is what I saw!!!

Everyone was getting along and happy!! ;0)
I'm going to put him in the house with the girls tonight and hope it works out well!
That's great news!!! so happy for you and them!!!

Back
Top Bottom