1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this good enough?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maybejoey, Aug 10, 2011.

1. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

2. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    I know a lot of people who use those [​IMG]
    It can hold little chicks but when they grow really big you might wanna get them a bigger brooder

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Sure, how many chicks will be in the cage? They grow fast so you will need a larger cage soon. Maybe this will give you some time to build or get a larger set up. Enjoy your new chicks, they are a lot of fun [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We only used ours for 2 weeks max before they grew out of it. We switched to an extra large dog kennel until we moved them into the coop.

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. It'll work great for a start depending on the number of chicks, type of bird and there age. But be prepared to move them as they grow up. Any box or cage will do. Just leave the light at one end so they can move to the area that is the temp they want. I use two brooders 1 is 3' wide x 4' long. I can easily put 30 -50 biddies in it. then around the second week I move them to the big brooder its 3' wide x 8' long by week 6 its out the door to the growing pen. It's 6' wide x 12' long. Then if I'm lucky I can find them a new home. [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

3 chicks? For a week? Yeah, I guess, but don't like the newsprint. Too slippery.

So, what's plan B? [​IMG]

7. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

We only have to and its the cage that holds up to 5 rabbits.

Plus I have a larger coop to move them out to when there old enough. Another quetion how old do they have to be before you move them out with the big chickens. 6 hens and one rooster.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
  8. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

That will be just fine! With only 2 chicks it should be big enough until they are ready to go outside in a tractor or coop. Probably you should put something else on the bottom though. Sand or shavings work really well. Terri O

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    x2 on the shavings. They can get spraddle leg from being on newspaper.

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thats what I use when the chicks first come home or hatch, but later depending on age and how many your have to find a larger space for them. I use paper towels in the being also gives em alittle more grip.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by