Is this good nutritionally?

TheBeardie

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Florida
One of my month old chicks has a slipped achilles tendon. I noticed her leg this morning and I'm hoping for a full recovery. I've read it could be due to nutritional deficiencies or it could be genetic. I want to know if I need to do something different so this doesn't happen to any of the other's.

I've been feeding the chicks purina start and grow medicated from hatch. https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-start-grow-amp-0125
With Sav-a-chick electrolyte and vitamin supplement for the first week and a half. I just started putting Sav-a-chick back in the water this evening just in case.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...amin-supplement-017-oz-pack-of-3?cm_vc=-10005
Is there anything wrong with this?
Do I need to do anything else?

What is the mill date of the feed? Old feed loses it's vitamins. I personally don't use medicated. I don't think it will cause problems but I'm not sure. It does block some b vitamins I believe.

Check the date on the vitamins too. Sometimes Tractor Supply doesn't have a lot of product turn over. Especially with the time of year as far as chick starters go.

I agree, check the mill date on every bag of feed! It's best to feed it within six or eight weeks of the mill date for best nutrition. The folks at the feed store may not agree, but just do it that way.
Is this a Cornishx chick? They grow so fast that joint issues are common, as is heart failure. Limiting feed can help them.
Mary

The mill date is August 15th so right on the edge of 8 weeks. The Sav-a chick is also in date. No, she's a mix. I'm not exactly sure what breeds she is but the lady I got the hatching eggs from has americanas and the breeds that come from them, Marans, speckled susux, NN, and a few laying breeds.

Photo Editor-20181020_152459.jpg

It's entirely possible that the lady you got your hatching eggs from wasn't feeding a correct diet. Many deficiencies start with the hen which is than past to the egg. Breeding stock should always be fed a good breeding rations to avoid problems.

Back
Top Bottom