Is this gorgeous 8 week old EE pullet really a dude?

legacyln

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Jefferson City, MO
Well I bought 5 EE pullets from Cackle at the beginning of Feb and they are all healthy and gorgeous, but I'm starting to wonder about this one and thought I'd see what you folks thought...
1. Her comb is pinker and bigger than the other 4
2. Her tail.back feathers are srting to look a bit longer than the others
3. Her beard is bigger and fuller han the others

Now, I would actually be ok w/it if "she" is a roo, but I keep watching her and woinodering...

7546_img_0175.jpg

Here she is in between another EE and a Light Brahma, all same age.
7546_img_0091.jpg

And while I'm at it check out this babealicious girl, we call her Cleopatra, a name I shamelessly stole from a BYCer:
7546_img_0087.jpg

Whoa, I'm no help to you, but I wanted to say that's a cool looking bird! Actually, they all are!
big_smile.png

Maybe a close-up picture of the comb would help people guess? In the pic of the 3 birds I think it looks boyish, but then in the bigger picture the comb still looks pale and flat, so I don't know. I'm a total beginner, though, so don't take my word for anything. I hope this bump will get you some more guesses.

It is always a little harder to tell the gender of EEs or Ameraucaner, but I think this one will lay some pretty eggs for you.........

As of right now, I'd say you still have a good chance that she's a pullet. I had one that's comb was bigger & wider than the others (hers was a 3 row pea comb), she had a different shaped tail, and was quite a bit bigger (heavier) also. She's now laying eggs for us.

If that's a cockerel then in the next few weeks he should begin croaking out some adolescent crows and sprouting pointy man-feathers around his neck and right in front of his tail. I have some birds like this that keep me guessing for the longest time. With them I keep checking their feathers, parting those along the back of their necks and at the saddle.

I'm guessing this one is a pullet. But it'll be a beautiful bird, no matter what its sex.

Back
Top Bottom