Is this gout? this is a foot, there are 2 swellings on the sides of the middle toe, the other foot is identical so I dont think bumblefoot

BeekeepersHens

Hatching
May 5, 2023
IMG_20230504_110020.jpg

sorry new here... have nt got the hang of posting questions ....that should say cockerels foot . they look sore , as in red colour to them and there is red colouring going up the leg but not overall. ....its the symmetry that makes me think gout. The cockerel is not showing pain or discomfort he is trotting around and seem to be ok ... but these lumps dont look right ,... Any ideas? and what should I do .. I have the advice re gout, but if its not gout then maybe I should be doing something else. thanks

I should also say that the underside of the foot looks fine although there are 2 tiny dots on the swelling itself ... but I think that could be due to the scales being rubbed as he walks around rather than an obvious puncture wound with scab would see with such as you bumblefoot

Can you get a few more pictures of both feet and toes?
underside of each foot and top of both showing the lumps and symmetry also head shot showing bright colour!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_212807.jpg
    IMG_20230506_212807.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230506_212820.jpg
    IMG_20230506_212820.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230506_212840.jpg
    IMG_20230506_212840.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230506_213420.jpg
    IMG_20230506_213420.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 1
underside of each foot and top of both showing the lumps and symmetry also head shot showing bright colour!!
although I am asking is it gout I have reservations because looking at descriptions of gout the following seem to be contrar- indicative
.....swollen joints of the feet and toes, resulting in lameness and shifting of the weight from leg to leg to relieve discomfort. the one thing here that bothers me and it may be just semantics is the phrase swollen joints ....I would say that there are swellings or lumps on the toes rather than swollen joints ... I would think of swollen joints as all the way round not 2 individual lumps on the sides as here and there is no lameness or shifting of weight (? at the moment ....?)

Because of the swelling, the bird is unable to bend its toes. this is not the case either (yet??) as he is gripping with his toes if you touch his feet

With gout, due to the deposition of salts, the joints on the legs swell and grow. Pus-filled growths form. So are we seeing pus filled growths ? and these have appeared before the joints swelling and growing?

So is this the lumps have appeared before general swelling ... which does seem to be the wrong way round for gout and also he does not show evidence of pain and discomfort in moving

Back
Top Bottom