Is this grey eye /ocular marek's?

FeatherCrest

Chirping
Oct 31, 2019
Netherlands
In June last year we noticed that our rooster The Baron had a discolouraration in one eye. We thought it was ocular marek's (we had just lost one hen to visceral marek's, so it made sense). Because of his hairstyle he never really sees well, there are no predators where we live, so even if he would turn blind, he could still be a happy part of the flock. We decided to let it be.
The last couple of weeks, we starten to worry about him He is so sleepy, takes naps all the time. He eats well, weight remains the same, but so sleepy.

But I am actually getting unsure if it is Marek's, what do you think? It is not turning grey, more light, but with redn veins.

First pic is what his bad eye looks like now, 2nd and 3rd are both eyes in June

Attachments

• IMG-20240113-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240113-WA0007.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-20230625-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230625-WA0006.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20230625-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20230625-WA0007.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 15
It is hard to tell, but the eye is definitely abnormal. The pupil is large, and looks blinded. The other eye has that grayish look, and may progress to the same. Since you have Mareks in the flock, it probably would be easy to assume the ocular form. The eyes seem to have progression over time to the pictures we see of ocular Mareks. I have only seen pictures of assumed ocular Mareks, and they can vary some. Most eventually have a constricted (small) irregular pupil with a graying of the colored iris. But some of the pupils look larger while some are pinpoint in size.

It is hard to tell, but the eye is definitely abnormal. The pupil is large, and looks blinded. The other eye has that grayish look, and may progress to the same. Since you have Mareks in the flock, it probably would be easy to assume the ocular form. The eyes seem to have progression over time to the pictures we see of ocular Mareks. I have only seen pictures of assumed ocular Mareks, and they can vary some. Most eventually have a constricted (small) irregular pupil with a graying of the colored iris. But some of the pupils look larger while some are pinpoint in size.
Hello! Can you please take a look at my recent thread? Is it normal for a chickens eye to not be a perfect circle? And how long does a chickens eye with ocular mareks take to become obvious? One of my hens dosent have a perfect pupil in one eye. It isn’t discolored, pupil expands according to light, her eyesight seems fine but I’m worried that she has mareks. Please help!!

Back
Top Bottom