Is this grief or an infection or what???

sadshepherdgirl

Chirping
Mar 15, 2020
I have a young hen who went broody a few weeks ago and we let her sit on some eggs. They were due to hatch this weekend. Yesterday she was off the nest and today the eggs are cold and one of the other hens appears to have broken some open. The eggs are bloody with no developed chicks so I think something went wrong fairly early on. A stomach bug went through that I am treating so that may have had something to do with it.

My main concern is for the hen. Since she left the nest she has been making this rhythmic moaning/wheezing sound. It's not wet like bronchitis or anything like that, and it really sounds vocal rather than respiratory. It's starting to really concern me because she just doesn't stop. Do you think this is some sort of nasal infection or something and it actually is a breathing problem, or could she be vocalizing distress because of her eggs? She's been doing this for almost 18 hours. I'm getting pretty worried for her.

Is there any way to get a video so we can hear what she sounds like?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Have you ever had respiratory disease in your flock?
Any changes in feed, bedding, etc.?
Have you added new birds to your flock within the last 30 days?

Who had the stomach bug - you/your family or something going on with the chickens?

Is there any way to get a video so we can hear what she sounds like?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Have you ever had respiratory disease in your flock?
Any changes in feed, bedding, etc.?
Have you added new birds to your flock within the last 30 days?

Who had the stomach bug - you/your family or something going on with the chickens?
No changes to the flock except that they've been getting garlic oil to treat a mild stomach problem that they've been having - a couple of them were scouring a little.

I will try to get a video when my father comes home - I don't have a phone with camera

No changes to the flock except that they've been getting garlic oil to treat a mild stomach problem that they've been having - a couple of them were scouring a little.

I will try to get a video when my father comes home - I don't have a phone with camera
Can you explain what you mean by "scouring"?
What is a mild "stomach" problem in a chicken? Do you mean a crop issue?

Are you in the US or another country?

Can you explain what you mean by "scouring"?
What is a mild "stomach" problem in a chicken? Do you mean a crop issue?

Are you in the US or another country?
Sorry scouring is just some mild diarrhea. So that's what I mean by stomach problem.

I'm in Canada

Back
Top Bottom