Is this grit ok for my chicks?

senrabruk

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
CA
Hi
I just got this grit but I don't know if it is ok for my chicks here is what is in it:
moterey sand, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, ground limestone, salt, cottonseed meal,
deluorinated phosphate, cane molasses, mineral oil,iron sulfate, iron oxide, zinc oxide, magnesium oxide,
manganous oxide, copper sulfate, copper carbonate, potassium iodine,vitamin a acetate, and d-activated animal sterol.

Is it safe for them it was the only one I could find at ether of our feed stores that was not oster shell.
Thanks,
micah

That sounds more like some type of mineral supplement? What does the bag say? What is sold as grit for chickens or chicks is usually just crushed granite. Chick grit is smaller and often has a red color to attract them. You definitely do not want anything with added calcium for chicks.

I had a problem finding grit too, so I went to Walmart and bought the bird grit from the pet section. If I remember right, it seems that the one I bought had a lot of the same ingredients. I also went outside and found a sanding area and got some from there.

It just says "Bird Grit (fortifide)"on the bad.
would sand be better my back yard is all sand?
Thank you soo much for helping me!

if you have sand i would probably feel safer using that.

what i did with my chicks, i only gave them grit when i started giving them treats. i would sprinkle the sand on the treat and then put some in a pile next to it. they really only need grit when they are eating something other than there chick starter and as they get older.

I just started feeding treats.
I think I am going to go with sand.
Thank you so much all of you!
I love the help and people at byc!
love.gif
Every one is soo willing to help!

Back
Top Bottom