Is this hen a New Hampshire Red?

You'd be a fun dinner guest! Just sayin'!

I have heard that before.
big_smile.png

Quote:
This is so obvious sparticus have you ever tried New Hampshire chickens?
roll.png

The reason the people like you call them new Hampshire reds is because the hatcheries labeled them that way and this seems to be all you believe.

Quote:
I am just curious. Where does the APA get it's authority to determine a breed's name outside of it's membership? This is not meant to be a slam on the APA, but more of a thought provoking query.

For instance, if I (or anyone) wanted to develop and market a breed with a specific purpose and I bred birds to this end. This adventure resulted in a linage of birds that bred true and performed along the stated purpose. Now let's add in that I had a group of interested consumers or fellow breeders that wanted my birds. Would I have to seek acceptance into the APA to label my birds as a breed, or would it just become a commonly accepted term through the acceptance of my birds within the group I marketed too? Or if my bird was recognized by another livestock group, could the APA then have the breed name changed because they didn't like it or it was to similar to another breed?

So I do not think that any club or organization can mandate as fact a breed name. This may be semantics, but a common name for the New Hampshire is the New Hampshire Red. When called that, most familiar with poultry know what is meant. So to say it is not opinion but fact is not as correct as you may want it to be. To say that "According to the APA the breed is the New Hampshire vs. the New Hampshire Red", in my opinion would be more accurate. Until the APA is granted regulatory power over poultry in this country, it is only able to regulate that within it's bounds.

Also if you Google New Hampshire Red you will get lots of info on chickens. if you Google New Hampshire, you will get lots of info on the state. So to say "in America, they are called New Hampshires" is also only partially accurate.

You'd be a fun dinner guest! Just sayin'!

X2 Conversations are boring at my place
tongue.png

This is so obvious sparticus have you ever tried New Hampshire chickens? roll
The reason the people like you call them new Hampshire reds is because the hatcheries labeled them that way and this seems to be all you believe.

If the question would have referenced New Hampshire Chickens, this statement would be relevant.

What exactly do mean when you say people like me? I have been around chickens my entire life and as long as I can remember they have been refereed to as New Hampshire Reds. I am not an expert on this breed nor on chickens for that matter. I do not know the history of the name and I was not commenting on which was correct and what is in error. If you re-read my comment, you may figure that out.​

This is so obvious sparticus have you ever tried New Hampshire chickens?

Just for giggles, I googled New Hampshire Chickens: In the first ten results their were five referenced New Hampshire, four referenced New Hampshire Red and one was split. I think this only strengthens the point that plenty of folks (obviously folks like me, what ever that means) in America call the breed New Hampshire Red.​

Quote:
I am just curious. Where does the APA get it's authority to determine a breed's name outside of it's membership? This is not meant to be a slam on the APA, but more of a thought provoking query.

For instance, if I (or anyone) wanted to develop and market a breed with a specific purpose and I bred birds to this end. This adventure resulted in a linage of birds that bred true and performed along the stated purpose. Now let's add in that I had a group of interested consumers or fellow breeders that wanted my birds. Would I have to seek acceptance into the APA to label my birds as a breed, or would it just become a commonly accepted term through the acceptance of my birds within the group I marketed too? Or if my bird was recognized by another livestock group, could the APA then have the breed name changed because they didn't like it or it was to similar to another breed?

So I do not think that any club or organization can mandate as fact a breed name. This may be semantics, but a common name for the New Hampshire is the New Hampshire Red. When called that, most familiar with poultry know what is meant. So to say it is not opinion but fact is not as correct as you may want it to be. To say that "According to the APA the breed is the New Hampshire vs. the New Hampshire Red", in my opinion would be more accurate. Until the APA is granted regulatory power over poultry in this country, it is only able to regulate that within it's bounds.

Also if you Google New Hampshire Red you will get lots of info on chickens. if you Google New Hampshire, you will get lots of info on the state. So to say "in America, they are called New Hampshires" is also only partially accurate.

The APA doesn't care what you call your chickens. The APA was founded in 1873 and provides a Standard that people can go by......or not go by. No one from the APA is going to come to your door and say that you are calling your chickens by the wrong name. We simply don't care. People who are interested in maintaining a certain standard in their breeding follow our descriptions and the people who don't know about the Standards or are not interested in following any set descriptions, can obviously do whatever they like.

They are your chickens, call them what you please. Just don't bash an organization you don't know much about.

Walt

I keep a flock of 75 to 125 ISA Brown layer hens for over 3 years now, changing flocks every year and in all those hens I'd say 75% look just like that hen. New Hampshires that we get from hatcheries around here look nothing like that, much more of an upright bird, and have more variation in the colour being much darker in the tail, redder in the breast, and blending with brown between. Show NH birds (few around here that I have seen) are bigger, redder, but still have the variation in the red shade through the body. That hen appears to be the brown/red of the ISA Brown throughout.

The 'star' blends that hatcheries have I agree get much white on them (few ISA do as well) or have black individual feathers, depending on the blend.

Back
Top Bottom