Is this hen a New Hampshire Red?

The APA doesn't care what you call your chickens. The APA was founded in 1873 and provides a Standard that people can go by......or not go by. No one from the APA is going to come to your door and say that you are calling your chickens by the wrong name. We simply don't care. People who are interested in maintaining a certain standard in their breeding follow our descriptions and the people who don't know about the Standards or are not interested in following any set descriptions, can obviously do whatever they like.

They are your chickens, call them what you please. Just don't bash an organization you don't know much about.

Walt

I do not believe I have bashed any group, certainly not the APA. In fact I said that I knew of nothing wrong with the APA. I also agree with your statement and that was the point of my message. Some folks misunderstand what the APA is and what the SOP is. I am not one of them. I referenced the APA for context only. I also stated at the beginning of my comment that my post was not meant to bash the APA in an attempt to avoid mischaracterization of my intent.

I think if you read my comments, you will be hard pressed to find any derogatory statement regarding the APA. If you do find one, please enlighten me and I will edit for content.​

Quote:
I do not believe I have bashed any group, certainly not the APA. In fact I said that I knew of nothing wrong with the APA. I also agree with your statement and that was the point of my message. Some folks misunderstand what the APA is and what the SOP is. I am not one of them. I referenced the APA for context only. I also stated at the beginning of my comment that my post was not meant to bash the APA in an attempt to avoid mischaracterization of my intent.

I think if you read my comments, you will be hard pressed to find any derogatory statement regarding the APA. If you do find one, please enlighten me and I will edit for content.

As far as I know you have not bashed the APA in this thread...I haven't read it all, but you have, along with two other organizations, in other threads. I'm not interested in rehashing. Just wanted to clarify the APA's position in this thread. It is not our job to police poultry or to tell people what to call their birds. Many of the respondents obviously know what the APA calls breeds/varieties and seem to want to use the same naming conventions. That is also up to the individual.

Walt.

As far as I know you have not bashed the APA in this thread...I haven't read it all, but you have, along with two other organizations, in other threads. I'm not interested in rehashing. Just wanted to clarify the APA's position in this thread. It is not our job to police poultry or to tell people what to call their birds. Many of the respondents obviously know what the APA calls breeds/varieties and seem to want to use the same naming conventions. That is also up to the individual.

Walt.

I have never said anything derogatory about the APA or any other livestock club. I have no beef with any organization, that would be like having a beef with a tree. I understand that it is not the APA's job to police poultry or the folks that raise them. The APA is a well respected organization and has done great and wonderful things in the poultry would. I agree that some folks understand the role the APA plays in breeding and developing poultry. Some on the other hand are not as clear on that role. If I were a representative of any organization I would make clear, in instances of misunderstandings, where my organization stood. When someone presents a response as an indisputable fact when it is actually an opinion, I see nothing inappropriate in continuing the dialog in an attempt to clarify, or at least present a different opinion.

If my comments have offended anyone, that was not my intention. I made an observation and expressed it with a question followed by my opinion. If I got it wrong, I am open to others points of view. I assumed that this forum is a place to exchange ideas, learn and share.​

I don't think the APA is the one who decides what to call a breed.... The breeders decide what THEY want to call them.... The BREEDERS of that breed get together and have a breed/variety proposal before a revue committee and have a qualifying meet for that new breed/variety.... And if it meets the APA or ABA's rules for recognition...becomes a new breed/variety.

Last edited:
I don't think the APA is the one who decides what to call a breed.... The BREEDERS of that breed get together and have a breed proposal before a revue committee and have a qualifying meet for that new breed/variety.... And if it meets the APA or ABA's rules for recognition...becomes a new breed/variety.

As I understand it, this is true within the confines of the membership. This may be beating a dead chicken, but my point was, the APA is a club. It is not a regulatory body governing poultry. Because the APA has been around more than 130 years, it's status in the poultry world and it's members, the SOP has become the Standard of the poultry community in this country. The APA does not designate or regulate breeds per se. There are recognized breeds that are not included in the SOP. That does not mean they are not breeds. One example is the Iowa Blue.​

Quote:
As I understand it, this is true within the confines of the membership. This may be beating a dead chicken, but my point was, the APA is a club. It is not a regulatory body governing poultry. Because the APA has been around more than 130 years, it's status in the poultry world and it's members, the SOP has become the Standard of the poultry community in this country. The APA does not designate or regulate breeds per se. There are recognized breeds that are not included in the SOP. That does not mean they are not breeds. One example is the Iowa Blue.

This is all true.

I suppose some people would qualify "breed" by saying a "recognized breed" meaning that it is recognized by the ABA/APA. I don't see any reason why the Iowa Blue could not be considered a breed. There are longtime breeds that are not in the SOP only because no one ever took the time to go through the qualifying process.

Walt

Sometime in the future...I'd like to see the Mille Fleur Pyncheons recognized by the APA....we are recognized by the ABA.... Something to work on in the days to come...

Back
Top Bottom