Is this hen considered a mutt? Updated picture HEAVY!!!

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
I helped a freind process some roos and in return I got this awesome girl-

I spotted this one out of 100 immediately and fell in love! Had to have her. She is 1/2 French Black Copper maran and I forgot what else-wellsummer maybe? anyhoo...She was hatched from a very dark olive colored egg-I chose her because I was told she would produce the same colored eggs-she looks lavender or blue with gold tips on breast feathers--pictures dont do any justice really. Shes about 4 months old? If her parents were pure bred-is she still considered a mutt? Im going to assume yes if this mix is not an actual breed right? and the egg color-will she lay that dark olive egg color?
25181_cimg2532.jpg

25181_cimg2533.jpg

25181_cimg2530.jpg

Can I mate her with any roo and still get pullets hatched that will lay the same color egg? Im guessing yes since she does? Im almost getting the hang of this chicken thing I think??
hide.gif

Pins and Peeps!!!!! help:) Heres the otehr girl I was talking about
25181_cimg2608.jpg

25181_cimg2610.jpg

25181_cimg2611.jpg

25181_cimg2614.jpg

Its a girl right? What do you think?

Last edited:
It looks to me like she was mixed with an ameraucana. She's gorgeous! You would have to do selective breeding to get the egg color you want... If you breed her to a roo with a brown egg gene you'll dark olive or maybe even brown eggs. If you breed her to a roo with a blue egg gene you'll get get hens that lay lighter olive/green eggs. (I think, lol!)

eta: yes, she would be considered a mutt.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Ameracauna was another guess on one of the parents-she did have those too-true ones. I have very few roos left now since I downsized-the only ones I truly have that could mate her would be a black standard size cochin, a Salmon Favorelle, um sheesh thats it! My other roos are bantams!!! No wait a SQ SL polish-but they lay white eggs and that would be a FUUUNKY mix!!!

Are you sure you posted the correct picture? This bird is either full blue variety ameraucana or at least part.

There is no copper color in her hackles and there are no feathers on her legs.....

I think if this is the correct picture you wanted to post, you should ask your friend again were she came from.

pips&peeps :

Are you sure you posted the correct picture? This bird is either full blue variety ameraucana or at least part.

There is no copper color in her hackles and there are no feathers on her legs.....

I think if this is the correct picture you wanted to post, you should ask your friend again were she came from.

I did post the correct picture...your right about no feathers on her legs...I wish you could see the picture as clear as I can see the coppering on the tips of her breast feathers-I would take another one but DH left for work and took the dig cam with him:-( Im not too educated on this breed, obviously, and went with what she told me..My friend hatched these from her birds-Ive seen them-no mutts with her. But like I said I didnt care what kind it was -she was gorgeous and I had to have her-especially when she shoed me the dark olive eggs I should expect from her. She has a few hens like this one but the others are much more prominent in the coppering area...If for some reason it turns out to be what your saying-then what color eggs should I expect? I am not a breeder but I do keep hens that only produce awesome colored eggs for me and a few of my egg customers:) The more colored eggs I have the more eating eggs they want..Its sorta a game with them! but I would love to hatch babies from this one ( Spring)for sure to get more hens!​

Last edited:
If she were a regular blue ameraucana she would lay a blue or minty green egg and wouldn't have copper in her hackles.

If you can see copper then I would assume she is a mix of black copper marans and a blue ameraucana.

She would then lay the olive eggs as described and she would be considered an easter egger as she carries the colored egg gene, but does not conform to the ameraucana standard.

pips&peeps :

If she were a regular blue ameraucana she would lay a blue or minty green egg and wouldn't have copper in her hackles.

If you can see copper then I would assume she is a mix of black copper marans and a blue ameraucana.

She would then lay the olive eggs as described and she would be considered an easter egger as she carries the colored egg gene, but does not conform to the ameraucana standard.

Thats what I kinda figured-but being a newb on thsi breed didnt want to assume anything. Now I have another hen I think... but this one def has feathered legs ( not heavy as the toes have nothing ) and you can totally see the coppering on her breast and back but she has the same blue coloring as this one does-same breeder-same pen...much much smaller with like a bantam...oh y did I let DH take that camera! Her tail reminds of a mille fleur tail-sticks straight upI will take a photo when he gets home tonight and post it on this thread...​

Yup..... that certainly does look exactly like my blue Ameraucana. There's absolutely no way that bird is half Marans and half Welsummer. If they were olive eggs then I would say she is either Welsummer and Ameraucana or maybe Marans and Ameraucana (if those are the two dark eggers I have to choose from.
idunno.gif
My F1 Amer/La Fleche offspring do look very typy other than their combs and their sleeker lines. So it's very possible that if these are 2nd or 3rd generation Olive Egger mixes.... they could very well be more typy to the Ameraucana breed standard over the other breeds in their bloodlines.

She's pretty either way. Do be sure to post a pic of her eggs! Breeding her to other blue/green eggers will probably lighten the overall color of her offsprings eggs.... and breeding her to a dark egger will probably help keep the eggs of the offspring a nice dark green... though you may have to inject some more blue egger blood at some point to keep that gene strong. But, I am still learning all of this gene stuff myself
wink.png

Quote:
Ok-so if she is the blue Ameracauna that 2 of you said she was-which I can see why-and does lay those awesome dark green eggs(which I will post pictures of on this thread for you) what roo that you know of would help her produce girls that lay dark green eggs? I cant believe how ding batty I am at all this-I had chickens for a while and everyday I learn so much more!

Pretty!

Your best bet would be to cross her to a Marans or Welsummer roo to keep the eggs dark.

Since she is a hybrid, she only got one copy of the blue gene. She can only give it to half of her offspring. Since the blue gene is situated close to the pea comb gene, you could tell fairly early which chicks you SHOULD expect green eggs from. (supposedly this doesn't hold true 3% of the time...)

Pea comb chicks give you green eggs.
Straight comb chicks would likely give you dark brown.

There are several olive egger threads on here. I've got a little blue barred Marans/Ameraucana chick that I'm hoping doesn't turn roo on me. I want those eggs!

Back
Top Bottom