Is this hen cuckoo?

elbonmillfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
WV
I wasn't sure where to post this cuz I already know her breed. I'm trying to figure out if she is considered cuckoo or not and if so and I breed her to my Black Australorp rooster will the babies be sex linked?
Thanks

She looks like either a really poor Barred or Cuckoo in color. I don't think breeding her to a Black Australorp would produce sex-linked babies.

Can you tell me why they won't make sex links? Everything I've read says breeding a solid male to a barred/cuckoo female results in black sex link chicks. Does breed of the hen matter or does she just have to have the pattern?

Can you tell me why they won't make sex links? Everything I've read says breeding a solid male to a barred/cuckoo female results in black sex link chicks. Does breed of the hen matter or does she just have to have the pattern?

Breeding a red male to a barred/cuckoo female will result in sex-linked chicks. Not any solid color male can be used for Black Sex-Links.

Here is a good link on sex-links: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Last edited:
Yeah. I know the EE part throws a kink in it. I'm just curious if no other colors pop up just black and cuckoo is it even reasonable to think it might have worked?

I mean we will eat or keep any offspring so it doesn't really make a difference just curious about how the sex link genetics work :)

She definitely has the barring gene, and she's black based, so she should make sex linked chick when bred to most non-barred, non-white roosters.

She's an EE? I'm guessing green eggs? That would give you pullets with green or brown eggs. Since you're breeding to an Australorp, your offspring won't have the red leakage like the hatchery birds do, your pullets will likely be solid black, the cockerels dark barred. Course, that also relies on that hen not hiding other colors under the black barring, which is entirely possible in a mixed breed bird
smile.png

I have 2 barred EE pullets
Who lay the egg on top, not such a pretty color itself, but has the blue gene to pass on

Put them under my splash Ameraucana for these little cuties

Who are blue sex link chicks. You can clearly see the dark head on the left, and the white spot on the right. Your chicks will be black, so seeing the spot will be even easier
wink.png

That thread linked above is a great reference, I go back to it over and over for the great info on that first page.

Back
Top Bottom