Is this Homemade food SAFE?

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
I was researching how to cut cost for hundreds of chickens.... And came across this video but I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth or not or if he even knew what he was talking about. Any suggestions?

:hmm I'm not sure about the lime supplement, if that is healthy or not, as for the feed he was mixing it seemed to have a ton of protein from the amount of sunflower seed. Are you going to go to his seminar? @Texas Kiki put together a list of all different kinds of feeds and their nutritional values., maybe she can help.

:hmm I'm not sure about the lime supplement, if that is healthy or not, as for the feed he was mixing it seemed to have a ton of protein from the amount of sunflower seed. Are you going to go to his seminar? @Texas Kiki put together a list of all different kinds of feeds and their nutritional values., maybe she can help.
No I'm not going to his Seminar lol I was just trying to find the right direction of what I would need to buy like the grains and stuff. I'm doing separate research about nutrient values to mix it myself.

Huh.
I'll have to read some labels tomorrow.
Initial thoughts are not so impressed with the mixture.

I personally don't have a grain mill anywhere near me. It's probably a bigger cost to make my own feed in such a way after shipping even if I found everything I needed.
I've been doing a bit of fodder feed experimentations for fun, something you could look into.

I wouldn't say it is really that good. Fish meal is 60.7% protein and 7% calcium. BOSS is 15-17% protein and .52% calcium. Limestone is 54% calcium. Cottonseed meal cake protein content is 57%. Wheat bran protein is 67%. Wheat Pollard is 15% protein and .10% calcium. Corn is 7% protein. Maize germ protein is 22-31%. Soy meal is 41.7% protein.

I can't do calculations of protein and calcium content because he didn't give the amounts. But suffice it to say that you're probably looking at a feed that's around 20-25% protein, 2-4% calcium and likely too high in Lysine. (4% lysine in fish meal).

Back
Top Bottom