Is this is a Sumatra?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AutumnRex, Sep 20, 2019.

1. AutumnRex

AutumnRex In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    Ive always had this hen since she was a 2 months old. I was never told a breed, always assumed she was a weird looking australorp until she started laying eggs. She doesn’t lay eggs often, she’s very aggressive, shes good at flying, she’s loud, she broods easily, her eggs are small and white, and she has a very small cone. The person I got her from raises, both, backyard chickens and fancy chicken breeds. I think she may have mixed up her sumatra with her other breeds. She separated the fancy ones from the backyard ones. All the observations have led me to believe it’s a Sumatra. She lost the blackness in her face after a year of having her, it was after she molted the second time.

Attached Files:

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    She could be a hatchery type Sumatra or maybe a Sumatra mix. Doesn't look pure Sumatra to me though.

ColtHandorf and AutumnRex like this.
  3. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Crowing

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    I'd say hatchery quality Sumatra

AutumnRex likes this.
  4. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    It's possible that she is a Sumatra mix, but she doesn't look like any of the ones I've bred. She looks very game-y to me.

AutumnRex likes this.
  5. AutumnRex

AutumnRex In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    She doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen, she’s so weird. Her feathers and tail are pretty but her face is a bit vulture looking. She’s not meant for egg laying and she’s super agile, that’s all the stuff that really shows.

6. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Crowing

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    I feel like this bird is what would happen if a Sumatra and a Malay ever got it on lol

ColtHandorf likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: