is this just a friendly thing?

Deviant

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Fluvanna
I had 9 TaraTints chickens I coon got all besides 2. I have fixed my run up so the coon can not get back in (for now) I put my 2 girls that was left back in the run. A week latter I got two Ameraucanas. They are a little small and when I put them in the run with the other two the Tints peek them on the head and back. Is that just them saying "HI" or are they bulling them around and might hurt them? I have the two Ameraucanas in a cage in my basement right now.

You might say its saying hello, welcome to the place and I'm the boss. Establishing the pecking order is a contact sport. It can get rough at times. In the course of most struggles for dominance there can be those that act like bullies. And yes they may hurt them. If there are no injuries let it continue till the order is established. You said the Ameraucanas were small. Is there an age difference? If they are much smaller and younger wait a bit till you try to introduce them again.

There are several reasons why the TTs may be pecking at the Ameraucanas. One reason may be that the TTs are establishing the pecking order. Another reason may be that the Amercaunas are "strangers" to the brood and need a gradual introduction to the TTs. Perhaps another reason could be that the Ameraucanas are too young to add to the coop just yet. Also, there are other threads about this in this forum, so you should be able to find a solution to this dilemma with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom