Introducing new chicks to flock

Apr 25, 2023
I bought 5 straight run Starlight EE in April that are 12 weeks old (first flock), 3 turned out to be cockerels and 2 pullets. I understood you need more than 2 pullets to make them happy socially, so I purchased 2 BO and 2 SLW pullets chicks, that are now 6 weeks old (second flock). I am rehoming the cockerels to a farm in PA in about a week. I have the 6 week olds in the run, separated and in the coop also separated for about a week. My big boy Arrow, who is the alpha roo has been roosting right against the divider in the coop at night right next to the chicks. In the morning I go in before the automatic door opens and pull the chicks into their cage inside the run through the cleanout door (sometimes they can be fussy). Arrow runs out and checks the chick cage as soon as he is out, but this morning he nipped me in the ankle. Stinker. I just pushed his back down, not hard, and he ran under the coop. When I say he is big, He looks like a full-grown roaster, except feathering, about 8 lbs. I notice my girls are starting to sit next to the chick cage in the run too. I do not plan to try to intergrade them until after the cockerels are rehomed. Does this sound like they are starting to accept them as part of the flock? My other two cockerels are not mature at all, (I can still pick them up and pet them) and I am too afraid to let the chicks out with them because they are so much bigger than all the pullets, the two pullets raised with them seem to do well, but one of the other cockerels tried to bite one of the chicks when she jumped out of my hands right after we put them in the run. I'm doing my best to time this so my two girls will not be by themselves. All the chickens seem to be adjusting well and seem content as far as I can tell anyway. Any advise??

I bought 5 straight run Starlight EE in April that are 12 weeks old (first flock), 3 turned out to be cockerels and 2 pullets. I understood you need more than 2 pullets to make them happy socially, so I purchased 2 BO and 2 SLW pullets chicks, that are now 6 weeks old (second flock). I am rehoming the cockerels to a farm in PA in about a week. I have the 6 week olds in the run, separated and in the coop also separated for about a week. My big boy Arrow, who is the alpha roo has been roosting right against the divider in the coop at night right next to the chicks. In the morning I go in before the automatic door opens and pull the chicks into their cage inside the run through the cleanout door (sometimes they can be fussy). Arrow runs out and checks the chick cage as soon as he is out, but this morning he nipped me in the ankle. Stinker. I just pushed his back down, not hard, and he ran under the coop. When I say he is big, He looks like a full-grown roaster, except feathering, about 8 lbs. I notice my girls are starting to sit next to the chick cage in the run too. I do not plan to try to intergrade them until after the cockerels are rehomed. Does this sound like they are starting to accept them as part of the flock? My other two cockerels are not mature at all, (I can still pick them up and pet them) and I am too afraid to let the chicks out with them because they are so much bigger than all the pullets, the two pullets raised with them seem to do well, but one of the other cockerels tried to bite one of the chicks when she jumped out of my hands right after we put them in the run. I'm doing my best to time this so my two girls will not be by themselves. All the chickens seem to be adjusting well and seem content as far as I can tell anyway. Any advise??

Our rooster will look out for the little ones, and I've seen him stand between the hens going to attack the little ones that were free-ranging. They are 3 mos old now and have their own temp coop as no way can they live in the main coop as without cover, those hens would pick on them horribly. Eventually, I'll put a rabbit hutch in there for them. It's a wooden box with a hole they can fit, but the bigger ones can't or won't bother them in there. It's only for at night, but first thing in the morning, they'll be the first ones out and looking for food, as those hens wouldn't let them eat or drink. I put their starter feeder and water out every morning for them. At six months (Silkies) are almost the same size so they can live harmoniously with the old ones.

In your case, I wouldn't assume that your flock is accepting them but are just curious. Try it once and I believe your hens at least will start attacking them or at least peck them if they come close.

Our rooster will look out for the little ones, and I've seen him stand between the hens going to attack the little ones that were free-ranging. They are 3 mos old now and have their own temp coop as no way can they live in the main coop as without cover, those hens would pick on them horribly. Eventually, I'll put a rabbit hutch in there for them. It's a wooden box with a hole they can fit, but the bigger ones can't or won't bother them in there. It's only for at night, but first thing in the morning, they'll be the first ones out and looking for food, as those hens wouldn't let them eat or drink. I put their starter feeder and water out every morning for them. At six months (Silkies) are almost the same size so they can live harmoniously with the old ones.

In your case, I wouldn't assume that your flock is accepting them but are just curious. Try it once and I believe your hens at least will start attacking them or at least peck them if they come close.
I would love to keep at Arrow (cockerel), but we are not allowed to keep roos in our zone. He is one of my favorites!! He is a great guard and takes care of the chicks. My other two are just sweet tempered (so far), but will go after any treats. LOL

Back
Top Bottom