1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this just beginners luck!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GSPx2, Aug 12, 2013.

1. GSPx2

GSPx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    So my back yard chicken adventure started yesterday afternoon. 24 hours later, I have my first egg!

I had some down time at work so I took a ride to my house to show my partner my hens and coop. That was around 11:30am. There wasn't an egg at this point. I finally get home around 8pm and I look in the coop and notice the pine shavings from the nesting box are on the coop floor. So right away I knew one of the hens where in there but I thought it was just to check it out. Well closer inspection revealed a nice little brown egg in the nesting box. I never expected an egg 24 hours after bringing the hens home.

Does this happen often? I've heard people say that in about two weeks they will start laying again but one day?!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Sure they can lay a egg a day after arrival. Although sometimes you'll get eggs quickly they may not be regular until they truly settle in.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She may miss some time now, or she may not miss a beat and just keep laying. I know stress or a change in environment CAN stop laying, but I see hens at the fair with eggs in the cage. If that's not the most stressful environmental change!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by