Is this leg issue correction-able?

I rolled his tendon back in place and have it taped. I have wrapped both legs so he can move around easier. I am going to see if I can get him to the vet for X-rays and decide on next steps. I wonder what survival rates are.
Could he get around on one leg?

Last edited:
I think you saw my 'Special Needs' pen when you were here, Peggy only has two short legs with no feet and Skippy only has one leg with a foot, short toes, and the other leg is half gone with no foot. They both do fine in deep fine sand and heated coop. They must be kept in sanitary conditions or risk infections. They also have to be treated for lice a couple of times per year as they have trouble dust bathing without feet. It is incredibly hard to put a bird down but you do need to consider the quality of life and burden on yourself when making that decision.

For those not familiar with my Special Needs birds, they were victims of faulty heat tape on their heated roosts.

Took the chick to the avian vet recommended by our vet. She said it was a slipped tendon. Talked about her quality of life as there was nothing that could done to correct the problem and made the right decision to let her go to where she will be whole again.

I think you saw my 'Special Needs' pen when you were here, Peggy only has two short legs with no feet and Skippy only has one leg with a foot, short toes, and the other leg is half gone with no foot. They both do fine in deep fine sand and heated coop. They must be kept in sanitary conditions or risk infections. They also have to be treated for lice a couple of times per year as they have trouble dust bathing without feet. It is incredibly hard to put a bird down but you do need to consider the quality of life and burden on yourself when making that decision.

For those not familiar with my Special Needs birds, they were victims of faulty heat tape on their heated roosts.

This is off topic on this thread but since you mentioned "faulty heat tape on their heated roosts" I have to ask.... I'm considering doing heated roosts. Can I ask what happened? Do you advise the use of them or no? Thanks

This is off topic on this thread but since you mentioned "faulty heat tape on their heated roosts" I have to ask.... I'm considering doing heated roosts. Can I ask what happened? Do you advise the use of them or no? Thanks
I DO NOT RECCOMEND heat tapes. I have seen them be faulty and then there is the question of installation. Make sure the thermostat is in contact with the perch and is covered by the carpet if you try them.

I DO NOT RECCOMEND heat tapes. I have seen them be faulty and then there is the question of installation. Make sure the thermostat is in contact with the perch and is covered by the carpet if you try them.
We were planning on covering them with carpet but now I'm afraid to try it. Can you recommend anything else as a heat source? Thanks

IB's only need flat perches and protection from the wind even in the northern parts of the US. Higher Spauldings and Greens are normally kept in a heated coop. We use an insulated and heated coop for our high Spauldings.
IMG_9576 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom