Is this leg mites

Ewehnes

Songster
May 6, 2020
My chickens free range on our farm during the day & are locked in a coop at night. I noticed that our 3 laying hens (2-3 years old) their feet look like this, while our younger all have the signature yellow legs. Is this from free ranging during the winter or is this some kind of disease?
20230531_165424.jpg

Yes, it is scaly leg mites. You can smear vaseline, or another oil or ointment onto their legs and feet once or twice a week to smother the mites. Get it under the scales, and apply generously. It will take weeks of treatment to achieve new healthy scales. Initially, you may want to soak their legs in warm Epsom salts and use a toothbrush to gently brush the scales.

Yes, it is scaly leg mites. You can smear vaseline, or another oil or ointment onto their legs and feet once or twice a week to smother the mites. Get it under the scales, and apply generously. It will take weeks of treatment to achieve new healthy scales. Initially, you may want to soak their legs in warm Epsom salts and use a toothbrush to gently brush the scales.
Do I need to treat the chickens that do not have the symptoms and what about inside the coop? Anything I need to do there or ways to prevent it?

You can also apply Nu-Stock to the legs and feet. Apply a small amount on roosts to prevent mites crawling from the infected bird to other birds. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it. It can be found in the equine section in a feed store.
thnustock.jpg

You can also apply Nu-Stock to the legs and feet. Apply a small amount on roosts to prevent mites crawling from the infected bird to other birds. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it. It can be found in the equine section in a feed store.
View attachment 3524760
How often do you have to apply it? Only the 3 laying hens roost at this point, so should I still treat them all? Only asking because I have 18 birds in total

How often do you have to apply it? Only the 3 laying hens roost at this point, so should I still treat them all? Only asking because I have 18 birds in total
Just treat the ones with the scaly leg mites. Just use enough of the goop to cover their legs and feet. It doesnt take much and it stays put for about a week. You'll see why after you apply it.

Whats the best way to do that? I have never done that with our chickens since they free range on our farm
It would be best for you to have someone to help you. Someone to firmly hold the bird and grasp the feet to prevent kicking while you trim the nails. Do not trim into the quick or it will bleed!
You can use dog nail trimmers.
thclip.jpg

Since I do the nail trimming myself, I snuggly wrap the bird in a towel and tie the legs together. The feet stick out at the bottom of the towel. Then get to work trimming the nails.
Here's what I prefer to use:
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...tipurpose-stainless-steel-scissors-97049.html

Back
Top Bottom