Is this Marek's or Riboflavin deficiency? Please help :(

luukasama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
New Hampshire
Hey guys,

I've got a bit of an emergency on my hands. I'll try to make it as short as possible, but I really need help because I'm getting a little desperate.

This is Tsubasa. She's the runt of the flock. We started with 6 chickens, 1 died, so we added 2 more which were the Light Brahma's. One ended up being a rooster, who is very docile (but still very young) and one pullet, Tsubasa. We've introduced them to the first flock as instructed on numerous sites. We divided them off with a net, and eventually put them in together at night. However, since the beginning of them starting to cohabitate, the older chickens, especially my two Barred Rocks, have been harassing her relentlessly. They chase her away from food, pull out her feathers, and sometimes they don't even stop doing either. They keep doing it and doing it, until poor Tsubasa, tired and unable to defend herself, quite literally sticks her head into the corner like an ostrich and hopes they stop. It's mainly my two BR that are doing it, but the others join in if it happens sometimes. We are in the process of building a new, larger coop, and I'm thinking of locking up the two BRs in there for a few days to break up their flock order.

I've had to break up the harassment multiple times, and in the past week, it's gotten worse. She became unable to run and started hobbling around on her hocks. The picture above is of her unwillingly laying on her side after I bandaged her knees. Before they were bandaged, I took her inside to our custom built shelves and after we did some research, we thought that this may have happened because she doesn't get enough food, or a riboflavin deficiency because the symptoms matched.

She hobbles around using her wings, but it seems as if she lost all strength and can't even keep her front up. Because of that, she has major freak outs, and in her effort to get up and move, she flaps around, tumbles, backpedals into walls, and even fell off the shelf a couple of times and out of my hands. This is what happened after a few days of her having these fits:

These are her left and right legs. She's banged them up bad enough that it bled a little, thus I bandaged her legs. However, she continues to have these random freak outs, and because of her previous falls, (and also since all of this culminated as of yesterday), I got really desperate.

This is what I did, 1) because it was late, and I really needed to get into bed, and 2) because I was afraid she was going to break her neck, or wings with her fits.

Please don't laugh or scold me. I am really at my wits end on what to do for her. We have a huge financial strain on our wallets this year due to several private reasons, and I don't have enough money for a vet visit. We took my boyfriend's old, but clean underwear and cut it so that her legs fit through, then suspended her using the lamp frame as you can see. This was the only way I could think of to allow her to move her legs, but also keep her stationary, so that if she does freak out, she doesn't hurt herself. She can poop

So far, it has worked. As you can see, I put food and water within reach. She has absolutely no issues eating or drinking. Yesterday, I force fed her a quarter of my acetiminophen (I use extra strength ones for my headaches) to help with the pain, then used the syringe again to give her water. The reason it's yellow is because a dropped a teaspoonful of poultry vitamins into the water, which does include riboflavin and gave her some bread a couple of days before.

Is this because she is undernourished, or because this is something wose? I would really appreciate some help because I don't know what to do. The symptoms she's having match Marek's and vitamin deficiency, but if it's the latter, am I just panicking for no reason and just need to give her a few more days, or weeks to get back onto her feet? Or is this something I may have to cull her for?
barnie.gif

Thank you in advance.

Hey guys, I've got a bit of an emergency on my hands. I'll try to make it as short as possible, but I really need help because I'm getting a little desperate. This is Tsubasa. She's the runt of the flock. We started with 6 chickens, 1 died, so we added 2 more which were the Light Brahma's. One ended up being a rooster, who is very docile (but still very young) and one pullet, Tsubasa. We've introduced them to the first flock as instructed on numerous sites. We divided them off with a net, and eventually put them in together at night. However, since the beginning of them starting to cohabitate, the older chickens, especially my two Barred Rocks, have been harassing her relentlessly. They chase her away from food, pull out her feathers, and sometimes they don't even stop doing either. They keep doing it and doing it, until poor Tsubasa, tired and unable to defend herself, quite literally sticks her head into the corner like an ostrich and hopes they stop. It's mainly my two BR that are doing it, but the others join in if it happens sometimes. We are in the process of building a new, larger coop, and I'm thinking of locking up the two BRs in there for a few days to break up their flock order. I've had to break up the harassment multiple times, and in the past week, it's gotten worse. She became unable to run and started hobbling around on her hocks. The picture above is of her unwillingly laying on her side after I bandaged her knees. Before they were bandaged, I took her inside to our custom built shelves and after we did some research, we thought that this may have happened because she doesn't get enough food, or a riboflavin deficiency because the symptoms matched. She hobbles around using her wings, but it seems as if she lost all strength and can't even keep her front up. Because of that, she has major freak outs, and in her effort to get up and move, she flaps around, tumbles, backpedals into walls, and even fell off the shelf a couple of times and out of my hands. This is what happened after a few days of her having these fits: These are her left and right legs. She's banged them up bad enough that it bled a little, thus I bandaged her legs. However, she continues to have these random freak outs, and because of her previous falls, (and also since all of this culminated as of yesterday), I got really desperate. This is what I did, 1) because it was late, and I really needed to get into bed, and 2) because I was afraid she was going to break her neck, or wings with her fits. Please don't laugh or scold me. I am really at my wits end on what to do for her. We have a huge financial strain on our wallets this year due to several private reasons, and I don't have enough money for a vet visit. We took my boyfriend's old, but clean underwear and cut it so that her legs fit through, then suspended her using the lamp frame as you can see. This was the only way I could think of to allow her to move her legs, but also keep her stationary, so that if she does freak out, she doesn't hurt herself. She can poop So far, it has worked. As you can see, I put food and water within reach. She has absolutely no issues eating or drinking. Yesterday, I force fed her a quarter of my acetiminophen (I use extra strength ones for my headaches) to help with the pain, then used the syringe again to give her water. The reason it's yellow is because a dropped a teaspoonful of poultry vitamins into the water, which does include riboflavin and gave her some bread a couple of days before. Is this because she is undernourished, or because this is something wose? I would really appreciate some help because I don't know what to do. The symptoms she's having match Marek's and vitamin deficiency, but if it's the latter, am I just panicking for no reason and just need to give her a few more days, or weeks to get back onto her feet? Or is this something I may have to cull her for? :barnie Thank you in advance.
If it's mareks she will die on her own, no need to cull her. She may even recover from it. I think you are doing the best you can for her right now. Vitamins, minerals, food and water and support. I think it's a good idea, since you don't have a cage to put her in. Most marek birds can't reach their food and water. It has to be very close to them.

I'm trying my best to keep her comfortable. I work from home a lot, so I am able to keep an eye on her and make sure she isn't flipping, and is eating and drinking. I'm still concerned about her condition. Is there no surefire way to figure out what caused this issue specifically?

I will look into that, as some of the symptoms described in botulism match. What a headache though, to add yet another thing to an already growing list of causes. Thanks for the link and the feedback, Toddrick. I will continue looking into and see what happens. As always, any advice or opinions are welcome.

You can try giving her Rooster Booster ( available from Tractor Supply )...she would benefit from Vitamin D3 and Vitamin E supplements...her injuries are compatible with being harassed and she may well be not getting enough nutrition with the other chickens attacking her....the Vitamins are great for leg problems and also for wry neck...give it a try...! Maybe a good idea for you to read up on wry neck symptoms....that may be her problem and it is treatable.....

Hi there....I love the little sling she's in. I'm very sorry that she is having problems. I really hope it's not Mereks disease. Perhaps she's just stressed from the other birds/falls she's been having. Give her plenty of food and water and mix in vitamins. Maybe scramble up an egg for extra protein.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

That is a link to a chicken medicine chart. Tylenol shouldn't be given to any animal. Good luck and keep us informed. :)

I'm trying my best to keep her comfortable.  I work from home a lot, so I am able to keep an eye on her and make sure she isn't flipping, and is eating and drinking.  I'm still concerned about her condition.  Is there no surefire way to figure out what caused this issue specifically?

Figuring it out on your own is dang near impossible. So many things can go wrong with chickens and so many diseases have the same symptoms. Nutritional deficiencies can cause plenty of problems also. Sometimes people neocropsy their own bird when they die. I guess if you know what you're looking for you can do that. It's not for me though. Some people send their dead bird off to a lab to see what they find. Someone on this forum has instructions on how to do that, but it usually will cost you.

Thank you very much for you advice, guys and girls! I have actually thought of giving them some eggs and was in the process of peeling them to mash them up before I decided to check my email, and saw the replies.

I will put further updates here as we go. So far, she's been in the sling for just 1 day. I will try to see if I can take her outside and see how she behaves, but as of right now, I'm keeping her inside. Today was bitterly cold.

Incidentally, Suzie, the vitamins that I'm giving her include E, D, and others. It's called Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes, and it's water soluble powder. I do see her eating and sipping on the water, but force her to drink the water with the syringe just in case she's not drinking enough. Just got some bread, so tomorrow they will have some of that also.

This is tough, but I will keep my eye on her and hope for the best. Updates to follow.

Thank you very much for you advice, guys and girls!  I have actually thought of giving them some eggs and was in the process of peeling them to mash them up before I decided to check my email, and saw the replies.

I will put further updates here as we go.  So far, she's been in the sling for just 1 day.  I will try to see if I can take her outside and see how she behaves, but as of right now, I'm keeping her inside.  Today was bitterly cold.

Incidentally, Suzie, the vitamins that I'm giving her include E, D, and others.  It's called Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes, and it's water soluble powder.  I do see her eating and sipping on the water, but force her to drink the water with the syringe just in case she's not drinking enough.  Just got some bread, so tomorrow they will have some of that also.

This is tough, but I will keep my eye on her and hope for the best.  Updates to follow.

I'm not sure if you want too, it's your decision, but you can always tube feed her to help her gain strength. I like to tube to help me rule out other possible problems. Just a thought. If your interested I can get you the link so you can learn. :)

Back
Top Bottom