is this mareks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GeorgRodway, Dec 18, 2013.

1. GeorgRodway

GeorgRodway Chillin' With My Peeps

Had a 5 week old cream leg bar X vorwerk chuck suddenly not be able to stand up instead it now hobbles around on its elbows/hocks she's still eating and drinking and seems happy enough. I've Brough her inside under a heat lamp. I fear it may be mareks but I'm not to sure she can still hobble around walking on her elbows and balancing her self with her wings. Her poop is normal looking and her eyes are not cloudy. What do I do she has always walked and ran around fine just suddenly she stopped.

2. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    It could be Marek's - but it could be something else too (worms, mites, cocci, etc.). What is the history if the flock? Vaccinations? How is her weight? Many, but not all of my Marek's losses were very thin by the time they showed symptoms.

E

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat for a vitamin deficiency first. Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) deficiency causes this sometimes. There also might be curling of the toes on one or both feet. Start giving some B2 or PolyVisol baby vitamins 3 drops a day. Poultry vitamins in the water might be good for the whole group instead. Her is a link: http://poultrymanagent.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/3/2/16324570/044.pdf

4. GeorgRodway

I'm a vorwerk breeder. And not had a problem with my birds. I had 2 suddenly die last year but I had no idea why my suspicions were coccidiosis. I didn't know cocci could make her not be able to stand yet be alert and eating and drinking well. She has put weight onb now she's on her own due to lowering her food and water.

5. GeorgRodway

And my birds aren't vaccinated.

6. GeorgRodway

She water she has I've been putting a special poultry tonic in it since yes today she seems a little more alert. Is this common for them to suddenly not be able to walk as I've bred for years and not come across this before.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What you have described is almost classic riboflavin deficiency. Sometimes more expensive organic feed will not be as fresh as a less expensive feed, and when they age, feed will lose vitamins rapidly. Hopefully this is the case. It would be so much better than Mareks or some other disease.

8. GeorgRodway

You've given me hope. Because she's fine in every other way as I though if it was marerks she would be completely paralysed in her legs but she's not she stands up on her elbows and hobbles around on them

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully she will respond to the vitamin therapy. Please let us know how she does later on.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by