is this mareks

Do the vitamin therapy as recommended-- since, if it is Marek's, there is no cure. So you may as well try and let us hope for the best!! There ARE other things it can be, as mentioned.

If it is Marek's, well, just know that Marek's does not follow any 'rules' and can present in many ways. I have an FAQ in my signature that might help.

Mareks can and dose cause many different symptoms. Mareks is expressed as tumors inside of the chicken and these tumors are caused by a herpes virus. The symptoms of Mareks disease varies depending on which organ or nerve group have Mareks tumors growing on them and the level of pressure these tumors exert on the nerve bundles or internal organs affected.

Over here some universities offer free necropsies to back yard breeders, that may be the case where you are, but of course the necropsy is, shall we say stressful to the chicken involved.

It sounds like Mareks but it may not be, good luck.

Last edited:
I'm happy to hear she is a little better. There isn't a whole lot written about vitamin deficiencies, and reading back through this forum, many people have put their chicks down without trying vitamins first because of lack of that knowledge or they are so sure it is Mareks. There are many conditions that look like Mareks, so I would always treat conservatively first. Please keep us informed on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom