Is this mites/lice or nothing to worry about? Help!

Feliciaschickens

Chirping
Oct 22, 2023
I acquired hens from my grandpa who passed away tragically in a car accident. It was his wish that I have them. I love it but am always worried they have something wrong with them! I already had one die due to loosing mobility in her legs? Today I noted this (shown in pictures) going on with my birds in the vent area. Is this something I should be concerned with or no? My grandpa had so many chickens his whole life with no issues! But so far it feels like every week I am dealing with something new. Help please! I really don’t want this to be mites or lice.

Attachments

• IMG_3906.jpeg
    IMG_3906.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3894.jpeg
    IMG_3894.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 19
I'm sorry about your grandfather.
It looks like their picking the feathers, which could be a sign of mites but it could also be from too low protein in their diet or cramped conditions.

I'm sorry about your grandfather.
It looks like their picking the feathers, which could be a sign of mites but it could also be from too low protein in their diet or cramped conditions.
Thank you good to know! Does scratch feed and laying pellets not have enough protein usually?

Thank you good to know! Does scratch feed and laying pellets not have enough protein usually?
Scratch is not a feed, it's a treat, they're only supposed to get maybe a spoon full each at most. Too much dilutes the protein in the real feed and can cause health issues since it's mostly carbs.
What's the protein percentage of the feed? Anything over 17% is good.

Scratch is not a feed, it's a treat, they're only supposed to get maybe a spoon full each at most. Too much dilutes the protein in the real feed and can cause health issues since it's mostly carbs.
What's the protein percentage of the feed? Anything over 17% is good.
Wow interesting. I was feeding them this since that’s what my grandpa had been doing for so long. I get it from tractor supply.. I will look at the protein percentage! I appreciate it.

Wow interesting. I was feeding them this since that’s what my grandpa had been doing for so long. I get it from tractor supply.. I will look at the protein percentage! I appreciate it.
That's understandable, a lot of people feed that way since that's what they thought they were supposed to do. 16% feed is fine, as long as you cut way back on the scratch and treats to once or twice a week, if that's all you can find

That's understandable, a lot of people feed that way since that's what they thought they were supposed to do. 16% feed is fine, as long as you cut way back on the scratch and treats to once or twice a week, if that's all you can find
ok, so, most of the feed they get should just be the laying pellets?

I acquired hens from my grandpa who passed away tragically in a car accident. It was his wish that I have them. I love it but am always worried they have something wrong with them! I already had one die due to loosing mobility in her legs? Today I noted this (shown in pictures) going on with my birds in the vent area. Is this something I should be concerned with or no? My grandpa had so many chickens his whole life with no issues! But so far it feels like every week I am dealing with something new. Help please! I really don’t want this to be mites or lice.
I'm going for feather picking due to stress.
It could be feather mite but I doubt it. If the feather shafts at their base are clean and you can't see any mites moving around in their feathers, I would rule mites and lice out.
Have the chickens been moved to a new coop after the death of your grandpa?
Any major changes in their routine, including who feeds them and how can cause stress related feather picking as can overcrowded coop conditions and changes in their environment.
Extra protein in their diet is unlikely to make any difference. Time to adjust to any new conditions, or even a different from normal feed might.

Back
Top Bottom