Is this mites?

eoneill2k

Chirping
May 19, 2021
Ireland
Hi all,
I was checking over my silkies this morning and found this weird crystal like stuff lining her face and ears. She lives seperate from the rest of my flock with another silkie hen that's about a month younger than her and the other silkie doesn't have any of this on her. I checked the affected hen over for any of the bits under her main coat and couldn't see or feel anything. They look to me like tiny eggs or something but I'm not sure, any advice would be appreciated hugely. I did have to trim back her facial feathers about two months ago because she couldn't see to get around, so someone has suggested this is just new growth but it's definitely not
20220702_155619.jpg
20220702_155644.jpg
20220702_155628.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I was checking over my silkies this morning and found this weird crystal like stuff lining her face and ears. She lives seperate from the rest of my flock with another silkie hen that's about a month younger than her and the other silkie doesn't have any of this on her. I checked the affected hen over for any of the bits under her main coat and couldn't see or feel anything. They look to me like tiny eggs or something but I'm not sure, any advice would be appreciated hugely. I did have to trim back her facial feathers about two months ago because she couldn't see to get around, so someone has suggested this is just new growth but it's definitely notView attachment 3171616View attachment 3171619View attachment 3171620
Looks like Lice nits.
I'd treat her and her housing with a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray. Repeat in 7 day intervals.

For the nits (egg sacs) on the face, I'd apply a little coconut oil on those to help get those loose. Whatever you get off, put in a closed container or ziplock with a little permethrin and throw it away, you don't want them hatching out.

Back
Top Bottom