Is this molting or something else?

Puckaster

Chirping
Sep 13, 2018
Isle of wight, England
Hello.

After being broody and hatching chicks 4 weeks ago, my hen has been losing a lot of feathers. Everyday the run is covered in them. She's lost a lot around her neck and there also seems to be a lot of dandruff (skin dust). She hasn't really put much weight on since being broody and is a shadow of her former size. I'm wondering if she's I'll. I can't see any mites or lice and everything on inspection seems ok. Her neck
20181010_111725.jpg
skin is very dry though and wrinkly. Is it just molt or could it be something else? She not even 1 year old yet....
20181010_094145.jpg
20181010_093552.jpg
20181010_094155.jpg

I'd say just molting. Hens that do go broody can trigger a molt and it's that time of year. I had 2 that started their eggs alll rough looking and by the time their eggs hatched they were all new feathered silky soft again It was great. I wouldn't worry. Maybe give her some high protein treats and keep an eye on her.

Yes it is typical for a hen to moult after hatching and raising chicks and the neck is often one of the first obvious sites of moulting. As long as she isn't too skinny and your weather isn't extreme she should be fine.

Also the flaky skin is normal when growing new feathers but if it looks like it could be uncomfortable for her or is very unsightly you could put a little vaseline or coconut oil on her neck.

Also the flaky skin is normal when growing new feathers but if it looks like it could be uncomfortable for her or is very unsightly you could put a little vaseline or coconut oil on her neck.
It's not flaky skin, it's the sheathing from the new feathers flaking off....'moisturizing' is not necessary, and may actually impede the sheathing from shedding....especially on her neck where she can't preen if off.

Is it just molt or could it be something else? She not even 1 year old yet....
Yup, she's molting, not unusual after brooding and at this time of year, those are new pin feathers growing in. She may just do a partial molt since she's under a 12 months old.

My chicken is just molting now after being broody for about 40 days! She is about 10 months old or so. We are having a cold spell earlier than usual here in NY. 20s-40s during the day and tomorrow night it's supposed to get down to 1 degree. Wondering of she will be warm enough. Maybe put a heat lamp in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom