Is this molting?

Barred4Life

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
My rooster lost all his feathers...they are starting to grow back slowly, but I'm wondering if he's not sick. He's been looking like this for about 2 months now, shouldn't they have grown back by now? He was last years chick born in April, so haven't gone through a molt yet. Behavior wise he's the same, he doesn't look weak or anything, same active rooster he's always been.
Here's before and after. I'd really like some input.

I think he's just molting. Try feeding him some mealworms or something else to increase the amount of protein in his diet. Extra protein will make his feathers grow faster and better. If he's eating, drinking and acting normally, he should be alright.

I think he's just molting. Try feeding him some mealworms or something else to increase the amount of protein in his diet. Extra protein will make his feathers grow faster and better. If he's eating, drinking and acting normally, he should be alright.
Thanks for the feedback. I want my beautiful rooster back! I will increase his protein intake and see if that works.

It look like a hard molt to me. One of our RIR's (also hatch 4/2012) molted in November-December, during the coldest two weeks of the winter and it seem like she was almost naked overnight! The feathers grew back as suddenly as they fell out.

Interesting she laid every third day for the entire 2 1/2 months. I did increase her protein mostly by adding an egg or some cottage cheese and also added vitamin drops to the waterer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom