1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this my first rooster? 5 week old Cochin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by howfunkyisurchicken, May 27, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This baby will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. It should be a blue if its a rooster. I'm having a hard time telling my blues from my blacks, but the blues were the only straight run chicks I got. Any guesses [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Cochins can be difficult to sex. I would say a rooster just because of the pink comb and wattles. My Cochin is going on 8 weeks and has a yellow comb and no wattles yet. My Cochin has been feathering very slowly. She didn't start to feather until 4.5 weeks of age.

I have a RIR that has had a pink comb and wattles since 5 weeks and fully red by 8 weeks, but I think she is in fact a hen. My RIR is almost 3 months with a small red comb and wattles. I haven't heard any crowing yet, but it could be a couple more months before that happens. My RIR acts like a hen. I believe it just matured early. Time will tell.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    AAAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's SO cute!!! I think that he's a roo too [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Haha- I think he's pretty cute too. Any more guesses? Im pretty sure the vote will be boy [​IMG]

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Have u looked at his spurs yet, I know sometimes on little Roos they can start to grow just a little

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've tried to look when I give them their weekly looking over, but haven't really noticed anything. It is hard to see through all those foot feathers though. I'll try to look harder the next time I check them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by