Is this nesting box/thingy going to work?

alaskan_crew

Songster
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Wasilla, AK
We used this style of nesting box last summer for our 4 layers. We now have 20 potential layers and now I'm not so sure if this is a good design for that many chickens. Any thoughts?

2496_nest_box_2.jpg

Most designs i have seen all nest boxes are open and not boxed in with one door.
All my silkies roost inside pens at nite and I keep many open boxes for them to choose from. I use to have orpingtons, r-reds and others ere I changed over to silkies and I got so frustratd with all my hens wanting the same box to nest in that I made one open aired
6 foot box. Everyone still fought over the same nesting spot. Fake eggs didnt help.

Try it out and see if all goes okay. I would probably add 2 other openings so you dont have a traffic jam. Worse comes to worse you end up making separate boxes for them.
There was a guy who created sanitizable nest boxes out of 5 gallon boxes. He said they worked like a charm. If you want I will post the info when I find it.
smile.png

With that many chickens, have you thought about at least cutting a second (maybe third) entry hole, so that nobody can monopolize the nestbox or get cornered in it or anything like that.

I think I've read recommendations for communal nest box size (per number of hens) but cannot really recall where, sorry.

Good luck,

Pat

Thanks silkyma and Pat. I will probably (actually, not me but my DH) will cut more openings. Do you guys think I should add seperators inside since it's one huge box?

Back
Top Bottom