Is this normal? Assisted hatch due to issues hatching

MomsterT

Chirping
Aug 21, 2019
We had a chick that was due to hatch on this past Monday, it finally pipped Wednesday at like 5am. It started attempting to hatch around 7 and for 18 hours it just kept sticking its beak thru one hole it made, didn't appear to have an egg tooth. It cracked the shell more than half way down trying to push thru that one hole. It stopped chirping and was moving VERY little only when I would tap the incubator to check it was still alive. I finally removed a very tiny section of the shell along the line of the unzip keeping the membrane intact. Did it high humidity never dropping below 65. It appeared the chick was attempting to unzip length wise and no progress. I reluctantly went to bed saying I'd wait and give it more time. Am nothing. So chick was unable to turn or move so I finally intervened. Removing in tiny sections the unzip section and slowly moistening and separating the membrane all veins were brown. My concern is this is attached! Did I just kill my chick? Shes slowly stretching her legs finally and attempting to kick the shell away
20190829_075724.jpg
20190829_075732.jpg
20190829_075736.jpg

I haven't seen that. I think you did what should have been done, now all you can do is wait.

Many of the the chicks I have to help die anyway, they had trouble hatching for a reason and just were not meant to make it. That's one of the hard things about hatching.

That's what I'm afraid off. I'm very attached to all my animals, and worry like crazy! Its moving around the incubator and drying off. Its leg and toes seem slightly curled. But I have it on a camera right now so can't see it in person until i get back home.

That's what I'm afraid off. I'm very attached to all my animals, and worry like crazy! Its moving around the incubator and drying off. Its leg and toes seem slightly curled. But I have it on a camera right now so can't see it in person until i get back home.
if she's got curled toes, make her some chicken flip flops they do wonders, should only take a few days to correct

Are you concerned about this?
chick hatch debris_1.png

If you're concerned about that, don't be. When you get home, post more picture of it and I will try to mark up your pictures and explain how to remove it if it hasn't already fallen off. :D

Last edited:
It's starting to dry and shrivel up. It's still in the incubator so will try and post an updated picture when I take it out to get some save a chick in it for a little boost.

Are you concerned about this?
View attachment 1892394

If you're concerned about that, don't be. When you get home, post more picture of it and I will try to mark up your pictures and explain how to remove it if it hasn't already fallen off. :D

Unfortunately my little one didn't make it.... and I don't understand why. It was wabbaling around the incubator fine last night but still not dry. So I said I'd let it rest until morning and then give it some hydrogen and warm it under the brooder lamp to help fluff it up. Last night though I did notice that it had a very thick white and watery dark green poop. Had one after it was born too. It was working so hard to walk and building strength. Should I have taken it out sooner than I did? Did I chill it to death? Temp was at 100 and humidity 55 to help it dry

Back
Top Bottom