Is this normal behavior for a lovebird?

Nov 25, 2019
Hi, my lovebird has recently showed signs of wanting to mate and have eggs. I was thinking of getting her a mate, and I have a extra cage. The only problem is that she is a bit aggressive and territorial. But besides that, she's a sweet little bird.

I know she loves to be around other birds and animals, but I'm just not sure. She is definitely ready to have eggs, she sometimes lowers herself to the ground and spreads out her wings as if she's about to mate, is this normal?(she's a little over a year too) if I do get a male, how should I go about introducing them?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to BYC!

Is it spring where you live? I'm in Australia so my birds are showing off hormonal behaviour.

Is she a hand raised pet? If so and you want to keep her as a pet, don't get her a mate. If she is a pet, you will have to avoid triggering hormonal/breeding behaviour (e.g. don't give her dark boxes that mimic nests, don't pat her anywhere but her head...).

If you do plan to breed them, try introducing them in a new neutral cage so no one gets territorial. Pairing can sometimes be a challenge, the birds may not bond and you'll get no chicks, sometimes you have two males or two females and no breeding is successful.

I don't have a whole lot of experience on breeding parrots but I'm sure if you need advice there are many other people who can help you. Good luck!

It is close to winter, but the weather doesn't change a lot where I live. And no she is not hand raised, I got her from a pet store a year back. If I do get her a boy, it will not be soon, she still has a few things she needs to work on (biting and she is territorial) but thanks for the help! I greatly appreciate it.

I have one more question, she is quite aggressive, for example, when I put my hand on the table she quickly runs and bites them. And when I put my hand in the cage to clean she quickly goes to bite them, this makes cleaning very hard and I usually have to put here in a small kennel with some paper to occupy her while I clean. How can I stop this behavior? Is there anything I'm doing that might be encouraging this? Thanks.

I have one more question, she is quite aggressive, for example, when I put my hand on the table she quickly runs and bites them. And when I put my hand in the cage to clean she quickly goes to bite them, this makes cleaning very hard and I usually have to put here in a small kennel with some paper to occupy her while I clean. How can I stop this behavior? Is there anything I'm doing that might be encouraging this? Thanks.

Sorry I haven't responded yet, I've been busy with this galah I'm looking after who needs a lot of training. I would recommend target training her. Target training is simply getting a bird to touch a stick like a chopstick for example. You can use it to get your bird in or out of a cage or go where you want them to go. It is not difficult to train. It is the first thing I trained the galah I'm caring for as he would bite me lots and wouldn't step up.

Here's some videos that explain target/touch training. These bird trainers are amazing and explain it way better than I could. I strongly recommend you check out more of their videos, they have been so helpful to me. Hope it can help you.

Back
Top Bottom