Nesty Lovebird?Tips?

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Yep. My 15 month old cinnamon lovebird Kiwi has turned into a little green rage monster!:D She has been throwing food out of her food bowl which she keeps sitting in.And tries to bite anyone in her cage(she is normally very friendly)while make these adorable chirps and clicks while bobbing her head.poor thing is so restless and cranky.:laushe hasn’t shredded paper yet. Am I right in thinking she is probably nesty?Any tips on helping her with it?This is Kiwi on her “nest”.
67C865D5-294F-4E78-96C2-35A6ABF19034.jpeg
74064E14-DC7E-4F92-B850-0B0A01B2E624.jpeg

Yep. My 15 month old cinnamon lovebird Kiwi has turned into a little green rage monster!:D She has been throwing food out of her food bowl which she keeps sitting in.And tries to bite anyone in her cage(she is normally very friendly)while make these adorable chirps and clicks while bobbing her head.poor thing is so restless and cranky.:laushe hasn’t shredded paper yet. Am I right in thinking she is probably nesty?Any tips on helping her with it?This is Kiwi on her “nest”.View attachment 3624946View attachment 3624947
I'd suggest you give her a high form of calcium like cuddle bone just Incase she want to actually lay. That way she has a much lower chance of being egg bound if she decides to lay. Do you have a male?

I'd suggest you give her a high form of calcium like cuddle bone just Incase she want to actually lay. That way she has a much lower chance of being egg bound if she decides to lay. Do you have a male?
She already has a cuttlebone in her cage. I do have a male but in a separate cage cause they don’t get along.

She already has a cuttlebone in her cage. I do have a male but in a separate cage cause they don’t get along.
I wonder if they'd get along now that she's all broody? Do you want them to breed if possible? I'd suggest you get another bowl for her so she doesn't dump out all of her food or put her food on the ground so she will no waste it.

I wonder if they'd get along now that she's all broody? Do you want them to breed if possible? I'd suggest you get another bowl for her so she doesn't dump out all of her food or put her food on the ground so she will no waste it.
I never intended to breed them but I wouldn’t mind so long as they got along! I originally got Kiwi to be my male Yuzu’s companion but Yuzu was mentally abused by his previous owner and rejects all forms of interaction.He bites Kiwi when she gets too close cause he is so afraid of her!and with Kiwi being so aggressive and territorial I would worry about her attacking him since he is so timid.

I never intended to breed them but I wouldn’t mind so long as they got along! I originally got Kiwi to be my male Yuzu’s companion but Yuzu was mentally abused by his previous owner and rejects all forms of interaction.He bites Kiwi when she gets too close cause he is so afraid of her!and with Kiwi being so aggressive and territorial I would worry about her attacking him since he is so timid.
Sad, I'm glad he is in your care now! I'd say just keep them separate like you are and if she does lay an egg as long as she has good calcium she should be fine. I don't have lovebirds any more. But I did have a pair named Wilson and Luna and although Wilson was afraid of everyone Luna was always very friendly. Sadly I didn't give her a good calcium supply and she got egg bound. This was when I didn't know much about birds and I'm so happy I now know alot about birds and what to do when things go wrong!

Sad, I'm glad he is in your care now! I'd say just keep them separate like you are and if she does lay an egg as long as she has good calcium she should be fine. I don't have lovebirds any more. But I did have a pair named Wilson and Luna and although Wilson was afraid of everyone Luna was always very friendly. Sadly I didn't give her a good calcium supply and she got egg bound. This was when I didn't know much about birds and I'm so happy I now know alot about birds and what to do when things go wrong!
Wilson sounds like Yuzu!Sad about Luna but at least you know better now.here is a pic of Yuzu.
6C2ACB93-342C-4E9F-8258-AA43959499E8.jpeg

Wilson sounds like Yuzu!Sad about Luna but at least you know better now.here is a pic of Yuzu.View attachment 3625302
The funniest thing is that he is what their chicks would have look like! Wilson was a green peach faced and Luna was a Lutino peach faced. Maybe once I make the double door to my aviary and I have room for a large cage I will get a pair like them. I only have budgies and a pair of cockatiels now. Is he cuddly? Luna was cuddly and she would nibble on my ear, it hurt but it was adorable! He is so cute!

The funniest thing is that he is what their chicks would have look like! Wilson was a green peach faced and Luna was a Lutino peach faced. Maybe once I make the double door to my aviary and I have room for a large cage I will get a pair like them. I only have budgies and a pair of cockatiels now. Is he cuddly? Luna was cuddly and she would nibble on my ear, it hurt but it was adorable! He is so cute!
Yuzu is definitely not cuddly!:gighe is too scared of everything.Kiwi likes getting on peoples shoulders but hates being touched like Yuzu does so I just let her climb around on me.She has a bad habit of licking my neck,I’m insanely ticklish so I end up scaring her when I laugh cause she tickles me!:D Your birds are really cute!

Back
Top Bottom