My hen is suddenly weak, panting, drooping wings, half-closed eyes, and doesn’t want to stand up

CatsDogsChicks

Hatching
Feb 11, 2024
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Today, I was with my seven pet hens (all happy, seven month olds) while they were scratching around fallen leaves under the olive trees, eating bugs. My active Americana, who was just on my lap went in behind a wooden fence with a very narrow access that is close to a brick wall. I tried coaxing her to come out, she struggled to turn around, but finally did. Then, instead of coming all the way out to me, she squatted down before exiting. I was able then to reach her. She went limp in my arms! Her eyes rolled up and she was panting. I put her in the house while I got the other six hens in their coop. Before she went behind the fence, she was happy and running around like normal. She was only behind the fence for less than five minutes. I was thinking maybe a black widow bite, or a rattlesnake was hiding in the deep fallen leaves behind the fence, or she hurt herself while turning around. I just don’t know. She didn’t really struggle behind the fence and didn’t cry out. I’ve been getting her to take a mouthful of electrolyte water every hour. She has no interest in food. She hasn’t pooped since this happened about 9 hours ago. She is sleeping in a nesting box in the house, covered with a blanket to stay warm. She has difficulty holding her head up. I can stand her up, but she won’t walk and will then squat down. The closest vet who treats birds is two hours away. Their diet is Scratch & Peck Organic Layer feed, plus fruits and veggies, and dried crumbles egg shells for calcium, and those addictive dried worms. Perhaps she’s egg-bound? Because she hasn’t pooped in 9 hours? Maybe she ate a bad bug or lizard or newt. I really don’t know. It was so sudden! I appreciate any suggestions or advice!
Thank you so much!!
Edit: She just strained and out popped a very soft egg and some yellowish liquid poop! She stood up on her own! Why is the egg so soft? Is she not getting enough calcium? Do you think she will live?
Thank you!

Last edited:
How long has she been laying? New layers can have glitches. I would give her some calcium citrate +D (Citracal or generic equivalent, one tablet) once a day to help her expel anything that may be remaining, it will help with contractions. A soft egg is very hard to pass and can make them feel very unwell, it can also delay things and there can be more than one egg in the pipeline, slowed by the first. Not walking could be from not feeling well, or sometimes a delayed egg can press on nerves causing leg problems, those clear once it passes. I would do the calcium daily until she lays normally. Hopefully it will be a one time thing, but I would keep an eye on her to make sure it doesn't continue to be a problem. Usually once they pass it they perk up a lot, if she continues to act ill then a round of antibiotics could be needed, egg material remaining in the oviduct can sometimes cause infection. But try the calcium first. It sounds like they are getting fed a lot of extra's, I would limit those to only occasionally and less than 10% of the total diet. Too many treats (anything other than feed) can cause imbalances. Some greens, those high in oxalates, can inhibit calcium absorption. I would also get some oyster shell and mix it 50/50 with the egg shells you are offering, for a better calcium source. If your scratch and peck is a pellet or crumble, that's good, if it's whole grains then that also allows them to pick and choose, they can take the parts they like and leave the rest, also possible cause of imbalance. In addition to the calcium there are other vitamins and trace minerals that contribute to egg shell formation, all are important (vitamin D, phosporus, magnesium, etc). Extras, and picking and choosing, can also cause fat birds (some are more genetically prone) and that can cause, or make worse, issues with laying too. Over weight birds are more prone to all kinds of health problems. They are very small so it's very, very easy to over do treats and extra's.

Happened to my 7 month old the other day. Like coach says in the previous post, they can "glitch" during laying the first couple of months. The good news is that she expelled the egg. She will strain through the night to expel whatever remains from the failed egg. Give her calcium and vitamins, you can also massage her VERY GENTLY between the vent and the breastbone, I've noticed it helps. Mine was fine the next morning, she had cleaned herself out through the night. She won't be laying for several days after that just so you know.

I tried Scratch and Peck layer feed once, and my chickens would pick and choose the seeds they wanted, and left much of the other added things that contained nutrients. I stopped using it right away, because deficiencies are common when a homogenous crumble or pellet feed is not used. I would get her drinking fluids and electrolytes, and offer egg and wet feed. Watch the flock to make sure that she is not being kept away from food or water. I hope that she gets better, but she could be very sick.

How long has she been laying? New layers can have glitches. I would give her some calcium citrate +D (Citracal or generic equivalent, one tablet) once a day to help her expel anything that may be remaining, it will help with contractions. A soft egg is very hard to pass and can make them feel very unwell, it can also delay things and there can be more than one egg in the pipeline, slowed by the first. Not walking could be from not feeling well, or sometimes a delayed egg can press on nerves causing leg problems, those clear once it passes. I would do the calcium daily until she lays normally. Hopefully it will be a one time thing, but I would keep an eye on her to make sure it doesn't continue to be a problem. Usually once they pass it they perk up a lot, if she continues to act ill then a round of antibiotics could be needed, egg material remaining in the oviduct can sometimes cause infection. But try the calcium first. It sounds like they are getting fed a lot of extra's, I would limit those to only occasionally and less than 10% of the total diet. Too many treats (anything other than feed) can cause imbalances. Some greens, those high in oxalates, can inhibit calcium absorption. I would also get some oyster shell and mix it 50/50 with the egg shells you are offering, for a better calcium source. If your scratch and peck is a pellet or crumble, that's good, if it's whole grains then that also allows them to pick and choose, they can take the parts they like and leave the rest, also possible cause of imbalance. In addition to the calcium there are other vitamins and trace minerals that contribute to egg shell formation, all are important (vitamin D, phosporus, magnesium, etc). Extras, and picking and choosing, can also cause fat birds (some are more genetically prone) and that can cause, or make worse, issues with laying too. Over weight birds are more prone to all kinds of health problems. They are very small so it's very, very easy to over do treats and extra's.
Thank you for so much valuable information! I am new to chickens, they are my pets, the eggs are a bonus. November 6 was her very first egg. I got 7 day old chicks online from Mt. Healthy Hatchery and she was the first to lay an egg. I assume this will happen to the others, so I better change the way I feed them today. I happen to have calcium citrate + D3 pills. They’re huge! I’m skilled at giving dogs and cats pills, but never a chicken. This ought to be fun! Perhaps I can chop it into smaller pieces, maybe coat it with butter? I have always fermented their feed for about 2 days, three days causes it to go bad and stink. Maybe after it ferments, I can blend it up so they can’t choose their favorite grains, until I can purchase the mesh. She is currently standing up, drinking lots of electrolyte water, but not eating. I will keep her in the house until she is all better. Thank you again for you help!

Happened to my 7 month old the other day. Like coach says in the previous post, they can "glitch" during laying the first couple of months. The good news is that she expelled the egg. She will strain through the night to expel whatever remains from the failed egg. Give her calcium and vitamins, you can also massage her VERY GENTLY between the vent and the breastbone, I've noticed it helps. Mine was fine the next morning, she had cleaned herself out through the night. She won't be laying for several days after that just so you know.
That was so scary. I will carefully massage her gently. Thank you!

I tried Scratch and Peck layer feed once, and my chickens would pick and choose the seeds they wanted, and left much of the other added things that contained nutrients. I stopped using it right away, because deficiencies are common when a homogenous crumble or pellet feed is not used. I would get her drinking fluids and electrolytes, and offer egg and wet feed. Watch the flock to make sure that she is not being kept away from food or water. I hope that she gets better, but she could be very sick.
She was lower on the pecking order, I need to pay more attention to that when she is reintroduced to the flock after recovering. She’s not hungry right now, but when she is I will scramble an egg for her. I noticed a lot of wasted grains because they are so fussy. The homogenous or pellet type sounds like a better solution. Thank you!

That was so scary. I will carefully massage her gently. Thank you!
Don't forget the calcium. It's not only for building egg shells. In emergencies like broken up eggs inside the hen or egg binding big doses of calcium stimulate the muscles and cause contractions helping the hen expel any offending material.

Chickens can swallow whole frogs, lizards, etc, a pill, even a large one, is not a problem. Just put it in her beak and push it back a little, she can swallow it no problem. If she spits it out, then you need to push it back a little farther. Hopefully she feels better by morning, fingers crossed.

I crush pills into a tea spoon, add some water, stir and give it to them, they can't stop the swallowing reflex.

Back
Top Bottom