After a hawk attack observation and treatment (Does not seem severe)

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
We had a hawk attack today after a few months free of the last one. Our roo seems to be a scaredy chicken and just ran while our geese were sounding the alarm. But my mom says the hawk wasn't bigger than the chickens. The two that seemed to suffer the brunt of the attack is our two buff orpingtons. Lemonpepper was wedged up into the dead wood pile with the signs of the hawk trying to get to her and Rosemary has blood on her face.

I gave Rosemary about a half hour to rest inside the coop with the others and then brought her in to check her over. The blood had dried. I didn't see any other fresh blood. However her right eye lid seemed a bit droopy compared to the left and and she would keep doing a swallowing motion.

She took a few pieces of scratch. She wouldn't outright drink from the bowl but putting a few drops of water on her beak she would swallow it like that. I put her back outside in the coop in the less crowded side where the nesting boxes are.

I'm not knowledgeable about chicken injuries and I know shes probably still stressed from the attack.
I tried wiping what blood I could off her face but she was scared of a paper towel so I only tried a few times.

There did not seem to be damage by her eye so I wonder if maybe its just stress or pain. My biggest worry is the swallowing motion. I want to assume its just stress but what should I watch for incase its something more? I'm aware a yawning motion would be more of adjusting her crop but it seems more like swallowing to me than a yawn.

Should I try feeding her soft foods incase its an injury in her beak?

You are very observant regarding your chickens' reactions to the hawk attack. Replace "stressed" with "shock" and you will have nailed it.

Treating shock after a predator attack is just as crucial as treating wounds. Give these victims a bowl of water with electrolytes and sugar mixed at one cup water to one teaspoon sugar with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give as the only water for the next two days.

For the eye, flush it well with saline eye wash. You can make your own from recipes on the internet. If the eye continues to trouble the hen, get a tube of terramycin from the feed store or order it from Amazon. Treat the eye twice a day until it has healed.

You are very observant regarding your chickens' reactions to the hawk attack. Replace "stressed" with "shock" and you will have nailed it.

Treating shock after a predator attack is just as crucial as treating wounds. Give these victims a bowl of water with electrolytes and sugar mixed at one cup water to one teaspoon sugar with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give as the only water for the next two days.

For the eye, flush it well with saline eye wash. You can make your own from recipes on the internet. If the eye continues to trouble the hen, get a tube of terramycin from the feed store or order it from Amazon. Treat the eye twice a day until it has healed.
Rosemary is easy to observe as shes our "Lap" chicken and the friendliest of them all lol. I went out with some sugar water and food and shes still hanging out in the back. Lemonpepper seems to be fine now. Shes coming in and out and eating with the others.

I did put our resident Black Australorp runt in with Rosemary. Shes gentle so hoping she'll keep her company and maybe encourage her to drink.

Rosemary did start eating immediately though. I just couldn't get her to drink..

Their not fully blocked off from the others theres just a 2 foot blockade to stop our geese from trying to eat the eggs.

If Rosemary continues to be lethargic, it would be a good idea to syringe that sugar water into her and not wait for her to drink on her own. But first dip her beak a few times in the water to show her how great it tastes. If you need to syringe fluids, this is how to do it without getting it into her airway which is that opening in back of the tongue.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

If Rosemary continues to be lethargic, it would be a good idea to syringe that sugar water into her and not wait for her to drink on her own. But first dip her beak a few times in the water to show her how great it tastes. If you need to syringe fluids, this is how to do it without getting it into her airway which is that opening in back of the tongue.View attachment 3753074
This is incredibly helpful to see and know! Thanks for sharing this photo.

OP hope Rosemary makes a full recovery!

Update: When I went out she was walking around a bit. She still wouldnt drink from the bowl but putting droplets on her beak got her to drink those drops but I thought since shes eating fine I grabbed some snow and offered her a pea size chunk and she ate that.. Maybe shes drinking while I'm not watching? My runt had ditched her and another australorp was hanging out with her. I moved things so theres a gap she can get out to be with the others if she wants to without flying/jumping over the blockade. One of the australorps squeezed through so I know they can fit.

I would just feel a whole lot better if she would take a drink infront of me on her own.. I don't want to bring her in since shes actually walking around a bit and eating.

All the others seem fine. A few were mad because I wasn't letting them outside again. It was such a nice day they would have enjoyed a full day of free range again but that stupid hawk x.x

She came out for a few minutes earlier and was looking around before going back in. Checked on her again and this time I had my phone for light and found her in the nesting box picking up straw here and there so I snapped a few pictures. The bloods dried wish she would let me try wiping it off again. Wonder if shes trying to lay an egg.

rosemary hawk 2.jpg
rosemary hawk 1.jpg

After she laid an egg she came out and was acting normal again. Also saw her drinking water from the melting goose pool. Theres hope yay!
Very glad to hear it.
I had a hawk attack a few weeks ago. Miraculously I found no sign of injury at all - feathers everywhere but some of those I think belonged to the hawk because my lead hen laid into the hawk while it had a little pullet pinned to the ground.
Frankly we were all in shock.
One pullet flew away and didn't come home until after dark. One froze in place under a bush and wouldn't move until one of the older ones came out to get her.
Three managed to squeeze themselves into a tiny nest box and didn't come out for several hours.
I needed a stiff brandy.
In all seriousness, I don't think they got back to normal for at least 3 days. I am glad your little one is drinking and hopefully will be OK.

Back
Top Bottom