After a hawk attack observation and treatment (Does not seem severe)

Very glad to hear it.
I had a hawk attack a few weeks ago. Miraculously I found no sign of injury at all - feathers everywhere but some of those I think belonged to the hawk because my lead hen laid into the hawk while it had a little pullet pinned to the ground.
Frankly we were all in shock.
One pullet flew away and didn't come home until after dark. One froze in place under a bush and wouldn't move until one of the older ones came out to get her.
Three managed to squeeze themselves into a tiny nest box and didn't come out for several hours.
I needed a stiff brandy.
In all seriousness, I don't think they got back to normal for at least 3 days. I am glad your little one is drinking and hopefully will be OK.
We are wondering if maybe the hawk went after lemon pepper and Rosemary went after the hawk. My mom said it wasn't a very big hawk so it was probably a this year hawk. I just wish our Rooster would have tried to help instead of run away lol. Hes been a good rooster in terms of giving his girls treats and not attacking humans but seems hes well a chicken lol. Hes a decent size boy so I'm sure he would have held his own against it.

We are wondering if maybe the hawk went after lemon pepper and Rosemary went after the hawk. My mom said it wasn't a very big hawk so it was probably a this year hawk. I just wish our Rooster would have tried to help instead of run away lol. Hes been a good rooster in terms of giving his girls treats and not attacking humans but seems hes well a chicken lol. Hes a decent size boy so I'm sure he would have held his own against it.
I don’t have a rooster but Bernie is a big gal and is quite assertive! Mine was a small hawk too - it was bigger than the pullet it attacked, but definitely not bigger than Bernie.

From what I've seen here on this site over the past fourteen years, I would guess one rooster out of forty will stand his ground with a hawk to protect the flock, and even rarer is the rooster that will fight off the hawk and win. Most roosters are just as vulnerable as hens are, and any roo that tries to fight the hawk, as heroic as it is, usually ends up getting killed.

The job of a rooster is to stand watch while the hens forage for food, and give the alarm when he see danger approaching so the flock can get under cover. Roosters are not guard dogs as many people assume.

Back
Top Bottom