Is this normal behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DottieMarie, Jul 23, 2008.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I see some of our 6 week old chicks kindda do some sort of body slams with each other.....is this normal behavior? They run at each other and bump chests in the air; looks like some rooster beer commericial. It's funny to watch but what the heck are they doing? BTW, these are BO pullets (at least they are supposed to be pullets) [​IMG]

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds fairly normal...I've had chicks do this...it's when the pecking at one starts that I become alarmed....

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I had been told that only roosters do this; it's called sparring. However, I had a pullet that I knew for sure was a pullet, and is now laying eggs, in fact, do it with a cockerel from the same hatch, so pullets do it, too. Yes, I do agree that it's the beginning of establishing pecking orders.

4. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I didn't even think about the pecking order thing.....I think of my chicks as babies and too young for that stuff. I was hoping it was a roo trait because I'd like to have one in the group but actually just thought it was some weird game. Thanks for the comments.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All chicks do it, regardless of sex. They are establishing the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by