Is this normal for a duckling?

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
Is it normal for a ducklings crop to be very full. I am concerned because when I got them the 4 of them drank so much that 2 of them died. When they died their crops were full of water. Now I'm very nervous about the surviving 2. So full crop...good or bad?

Also they are eating Purina flock raiser. Is there grit in that already or will they need a suppliment?

I usually start mine on gamebird starter, but they should be ok with the flock raiser. If you want, you can sprinkle some tiny grit over the food (just a little of it). At this point, if they are acting ok, I wouldn't worry about the crop. It's probably full of mushy food and water. Did you notify the hatchery about your losses? I ordered 50 chicks and 5 Black East Indy ducklings from Ideal. USPS took too long to get them here, 3 ducklings DOA, 1 died just after I got them home, the last one died about 30 minutes later. Lost 3 of the chicks too (surprised we didn't lose more). Ideal replaced the chicks and the duckilings and added some male chicks for shipping. USPS got the replacements here on time and all are doing fine.

What kind of Duckling do you have? I know the Mallards and Rouens you have to teach them as babies how much to consume until they know what the right amount is. Put the water and food in 15 minutes and take out then do it again for another 15 and repeat for a full day or so. They dehydrate faster so they tend to over drink ALOT and water log themselves. Of course this is from my duck experiences and what I have found out. The 15 min thing worked for me and I never lost a duckling after I learned that trick. Good luck with your babies.

The crop on a well fed bird will look like a tumor. What you are worried about is a large hard crop. It could be jammed with grass or something if that's the case. If it's pliable, then don't worry.

Ducks are little piggies when it comes to food and water, so it is normal for them to be full. If they are very young, and you have them on shavings - or if they were on shavings - they may eat a lot of those and fill up their crops with them. Shaving are hard to digest without grit. It doesn't sound like they were on shavings, though, if the two that died only had water in theirs.

Lanissa86 that is a good tip to know. I hadn't thought about it, but shipped duck babies will be very thirsty and they could easily drink too much. I will remember that!

DeAnna

My little runners hang out at the water like it was the beach. They just plop right down and settle in like it was Hawaii or something. All the while they are sipping here and there. They think they're on vacation.
tongue.png

It is pliable. Thanks for you help. They are so cute. I was concerned because the 2 that died had large pliable crops from all the water they drank. Good to know this is ok on a healthy duckling.

My cayugas were little shiny pigletts.. they would eat until their crops were dragging on the ground at which point they'd just sleep it off. Never had any die from it though, I'm sorry to hear that
sad.png
I'm not much of a duck expert, so I can't really offer any advice other than to watch them closely and monitor their eating habits if they still can't tell when they are full.

Back
Top Bottom