Is this normal for a Rooster? I really need to know in order to make

007Dawn

Out Of Coop
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Sure he is ok and I don't need to do anything.

This started three days ago. I noticed him sleeping a bit during the day, I thought well it's hot, they have plenty of shade. Their coupe and run is under 4 80 years old oaks. So they are ok. We keep plenty of water and cool treats for them.

But he was sleeping a bit that night my husband woke up to let the dog out at 3am and he was fully awake and carring on. We weren't sure if it was because of my dog and my husband.

So this past two days he has been doing mostly nothing but sleeping. He looks healthy, he gets up to take a drink and to eat.

No issues with potting and or any body parts. He looks otherwise healhty. He has found himself one spot that he has kind of wallowed out in order to lay in and he is just sleeping a lot.

Is this normal or is there something I should be looking for?

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got a very sick roo.

I'd separate, give vitamins and electrolytes, make certain he is eating and then hope for the best.

Have you checked him thoroughly? His crop, his vent, his feet and body? Have you wormed him? What is he eating and how old is he?
Best, Lynn

He is one year. ROO ROO has nothing on his buttom and his weight feels the same. He "free ranges" eating lots of bugs, We also keep chicken feed in with the birds. In addition, we allow them treats, oatmeal, melons, cucumbers, squash etc...

His feet look healthy. The only thing I noticed is one spot on his eye. I'm flushing it with artificial tears. For some reason I guess it is FL sand? Our birds on occassion get stuff in their eyes and it won't come out without being flushed. He was up a little bit ago drinking some water, but he is not is perking self.

Normally he struts now he is just walking on. He is eating. I put cidar in the water. I'm also a little weird on the water so I change it 2-3 times a day. They just get stuff in it, dirt, poo, hay etc...

Back
Top Bottom