Is this normal for month old chicks?

Chicky85254

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
AZ & CA
We moved our 7 bantam chicks out to a 10' x 12' brick enclosed building 2 days ago. It has a wooden floor, covered with about 4" of pine shavings. It stays fairly cool compared to outdoor temperature (100 yesterday) and is well protected and the brick holds the warmth at night (70ish at night). We haven't installed a roost yet, but it's a priority! Anyway, There are 2 open windows (covered by hardware cloth) that allow sunshine in, and some airflow, as well as a fan on a timer to help circulate the air during the day. I was sitting out with them today for about an hour, and when they got used to me being there, they all started to chill out and lay down. They all chose to lay in the sunshine, and would stretch one wing and leg out (the same side) as they fell asleep. Are they comfortable? Are they too hot? They weren't panting...

Yeah, I thought if they were HOT...it'd be a whole lot smarter to NOT lay in the sunlight! But...so far they haven't impressed me with the intelligence
wink.png

Yup, normal!
They will do that up until they are 6 months old and maybe longer, as long as they feel protected.
Catching some of those D's. Vitamin D! And keeping the bugs at bay.

Yeah I have banties as well, most under a year old though. It always scares me when I see one laying like that...they look like road kill!!

It was kind of cute....it looked like they were trying to "cover up" with their wing to go to sleep.
smile.png
But yeah, if I saw one like that when I'd first walked up, I would've been freaked out!

How can I add pics?

Back
Top Bottom