Is this normal goat behavior?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ewe Mama2, May 12, 2009.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    I went out to check on the goat earlier tonight and she started bouncing around (frolicking, if you will) and I wasn't sure if this was "acceptable" behavior for a pregnant doe (due in about 6 weeks) or if she was in some way challenging me. I have obviously never been around goats before, so I have no clue what is normal goatieness and what is cause for concern. She is still the sweetest thing ever, it's just that she never acted that way around me before. [​IMG]

Thanks for your help/insight!

2. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    lol if she's frolicking, she's obviously feeling good! and having fun!

I've sometimes seen my girls at 2 weeks to go, bouncing. I always figure well they arent going to pop anytime soon if they can still bounce!

The only time I'd get concerned about unacceptable behaviour, is if she is rearing up at you and/or shaking her head, or butting at you, that is dominance behaviour.

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I love it when my goats bounce around like that [​IMG] It makes my day! They get that excited when I fill up their minerals [​IMG] I have a doe who has about 40 days until she kids and she's still bouncing around [​IMG]

4. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    That's her happy goat dance!!! Kinda like a boxer kidneybean dance if you've ever been around boxers. I love it when Dodge does that, that means she's in a really good mood.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Sounds normal to me as mine did it up till they kidded...when they feel good they dance and jump and play like when they were kids...

6. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thank you all for replying! You have given me great peace of mind and I will simply enjoy her happy dancing and pleasure in life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by