Is this Normal? Help needed

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I posted on other forum and got no response. I have 1 week seramas and they had pasty but when I got them and I cleaned it off and put olive oil on. well, some of them dont look so hot . their butt hole is protruding and that and because they are so small i am wondering if anyone has any help they can offer me.
Thanks

Give them some time and if they are inflamed from rubbing and cleaning, it should shrink right up in a few days. Prep H is a possibility but use sparingly on such a small body as it is a vasoconstrictive drug... and in humans can cause high blood pressure with just it's normal use.

thanks I will see if its better later and then try ever so small amount if it isnt---I will probably be up all night to keep an eye on them---they are so small---and one of the smallest with a bad butt also I had to put a splint on one of its feet---one of the toes looked very crooked

I know this will get easier

simple irration and inflamation due to say a pasty but can often be helped by spraying a witchhazel solution on the area several times a day (it does not carry the dangers with it that prep H does) ...a soothing aloe veral creme after can often help too ....(the witchhazel helps the inflammation >the aloe vera the irritation). If visibly irritated and you fear a bit for infection then first flush the area with a saline rinse or a dilute solution of novalsan or hibiclens (chlorhexadine).

Last edited:
big_smile.png
that I will do dlhunicorn On my way to the store to get some witch hazel

Do still be wary of over doing it with witchazel. Witchazel IS the active ingredient in Prep H. Thus do it lightly if you do it at all. The decreased danger in a spray is that it is often much harder to "overdose" than it is with a cream you can lather on in a too heavy or thick of a layer that can continually release the drug beyond the desired amount.

Edit: However, if you do get a cream, LOOK at the ingredients. If there is more than one active ingredient or the main one isn't witchazel, be careful. There are ALOT of formulations on drugs made for humans that do the same thing as the "natural" source.

Great information, y'all! I find reading threads non-specific to my present needs, provides me with the knowledge for possible future needs. I applaud whoever had the original idea for this forum.
cool.png

Quote:
Witchhazel is a topical astringent and poses no systemic danger for your bird....(PrepH is most usually associated with the hydrocortisone formulation) I should have been more specific as there are several different Prep H products based on different ingredients(see links and info below)the acitve ingredient in the one advised for eggbound for instance is the one with the hydrocortisone or similar that can be absorbed by the bird and poses some danger when used in excess (which witchhazel does not)... I had not realized in my abscence from the USA that there is now a PrepH formulation with witchhazel in it. My recommendation was for the herbal (pure) witchhazel which does indeed come in different strengths and one usually dilutes it in water or glycerin >this diluted witchhazel (with no other ingredients like in the prepH prodct) was what I was referring to when I said to spray several times a day) .

Here is the info on prep H from Wikipedia:
Preparation H products come in a variety of formulations. Some are water based gel; some are petroleum jelly based. They range from simple moisturizers with witch-hazel astringent to preparations containing pharmacological ingredients such as phenylephrine, pramoxine and hydrocortisone. Some also contain ingredients of uncertain properties such as aloe vera, shark liver oil and yeast extract.[2] Formulations available also vary with country.

An active ingredient in some Preparation H products is phenylephrine in a 0.25% concentration, a drug which constricts blood vessels. This drug is more commonly used as a decongestant in cold medications since restricting blood flow in the sinuses will reduce the amount of mucus they create. Since hemorrhoids are caused by inflamed blood vessels, this can reduce their size. Preparation H with hydrocortisone has only hydrocortisone as its active ingredient, in a 1% concentration. A witch hazel medicated wipe is also available under the Preparation H brand.

Product info on the different formulations of prepH (with links to detailed ingredient compostion>please be careful with anything other than the withchazel formulation and never use the one with the painrelief on birds)
http://www.preparationh.com/hemorrhoid_medications/index.asp

Last edited:
thanks everyone!
smile.png

silkiechicken thanks for your quick response last night when I was panicing
smile.png

dlhunicorn thanks for visiting and answering questions because your website is just too big for my little computer to handle
smile.png

well I made do with what I had I spray their poor little butts with nose spray (straight saline solution thats it)

and then I put some aloe vera gel on ( which did have propylene glycol in it)
barnie.gif
they seem to be ok - and that was about 7 hours ago- they do look better (the three with the sore butts) but one especially is still protruding but not quite as red.
sad.png

last night I had just gotten them and they didnt look good -lots of pasty butts--so I was pretty worried-at least they are all lively now and seem ok :eek:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom