Is this normal Hen behavior?

That growl means she's broody. She'll get out of the nest maybe a couple times a day to eat, drink and poop... and the poop will be way bigger than normal.

If other hens have access to the nest box she's in, they'll commonly lay eggs in there with her, which will really mess up the "days till hatch" countdown if you're letting her set. Another problem is broody hens often choose a different nest to set on if they come back from food/water/poop and there's another hen sitting (to lay) on "her" clutch.
I took her out of the box and she ran up the ramp that leads to other boxes that are mounted to the wall. I put her back in the box and she looked at the eggs and then positioned herself over the eggs sat down and then fluffed out.

yes any space you have where other hens wont lay more eggs or a risk of the chicks getting to the flock my experience is bad with them meeting the flock meaning they didnt survive they got bashed up a lot

I assume you want to let her hatch?

Best to mark the eggs she's sitting on, and remove any additional eggs after that, or else you'll end up with a staggered hatch which may cause her to abandon some of the eggs that are close to hatching or even babies that hatch later on.

Back
Top Bottom