Is this normal? (images included)

Adora

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Southeast NC
Are silkie feet supposed to look like this? They look kind of white and crusty My sex link hens don't look like that.

Silkie hen feet
66469_m_79c4360c32284fe4927566b6977a087d.jpg

Silkie Roo feet
66469_m_443be1dfbb8f445f9a9fa3ec27051ee0.jpg

Silkie Hen
66469_m_e18f8e4100a246d0b44d94f159848de6.jpg

Sex Link Hen's feet
66469_m_af4097398c3d47958392a75ca0996820.jpg

Is that just how silkie feet look, or is it something else? These are my first silkies, I've had them close to a month, they don't act like it is bothering them, and that's how their feet were when I got them.

Last edited:
Looks like a bad case of scaley leg mites. Get some wd 40 and spray on their legs. You will need to do it a few times to remove them all.

Yes you need to treat them. Yes, it will spread to your other chickens.

Here's a couple good threads on scaley leg mites for you... (Hope it helps)

Quote:
Here is another good thread, and an exerpt from it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2713525

I have never done any worming is this somthing i need to do regulary ?
and as far as the dusting Is it Just powder you put on the bird?
Thank you all for everyones help with my questions. I also have seen a little bit of that legg stuff on another bird in that flock. ...........

On the worming, yes - it is good to do. They can technically live with some worms, but it causes a constant state of slight inflammation where the worms are, they make scars in the digestive tract if they burrow, and they steal their food - so they lower their immunity. I just worm twice a year with something broad-spectrum. For an unwormed flock, just worm with Wazine 17 (piperazine 17) first. Then go back and worm with something like fenbendazole (safeGuard for horses or goats), pour-on cattle ivermectin, albendazole (Valbazen), levamisole, etc. One of those will do the trick as the second worming.

How many do you have with this bird? Soak the legs of at least the two effected birds in warm water with some very gentle soap VERY dilute in it (ivory, or better yet - something like Nolvasan antiseptic diluted to a capful per a quarter of water. Scrub the legs with a toothbrush to get rid of the excess scaliness. The scaliness is made both by the gunk coming from mites that are burrowing under the skin (quite like mange mites do) as well as the products of irritation of the skin itself. Pat dry. Then you can use the 1% ivermectin on the legs. Dilute with a little water to get it to soak in. Or you can worm with ivermectin 5% cattle pour-on (PM me for the dosages) and you'll get the second worming done and be able to do it usually twice annually with ivermectin thereafter. ONLY use the 'broad spectrum' type wormers on birds over four months who have been wormed with wazine first.

I suspect the marks on the comb are also scaley mites which can and do migrate to combs as well, though they are more commonly found under the scales of the legs.

Still continue to give the vitamins, etc, as this will be good for their immunity.

Summary:

Worm with Wazine.
Get started on working on the legs by soaking and scrubbing. (You can put olive oil on them after the cleansing). repeat the oil part daily until 2 weeks later.

Two weeks later:
Worm with ivermectin pour-on (birds over four months) which will kill the mites and the rest of the worms. (Reworm birds under four months with wazine two weeks from this date).

Continue oil for another week.

Note: Sometimes the scales will bleed after you kill the mites as they dislodge from the skin. Be forewarned. It is normal. That's just an indication of exactly how much damage they do under those scales where we can't see.

The scales might not return to normal, but at least the issue won't be there anymore.

On dusting, permethrin (the chemical you want - check the active ingredient on the label) usually comes in a handy shaker can. I find it handy but a little annoying. So I wear gloves, shake some into my hand, and then use my hand to put the powder on the birds - under their wings, under and around their vent, under their bellies, back of neck - use your gloved hand to ruffle the stuff in at each place as you apply it. Try to keep it out of their mouths and eyes. You'll get the feel of it. Repeat in 7 days.

thank you very much for the advise, these girls and my guy, are my first chickens ever (I actually used to have a really bad fear of them, so to get over my fear, I bought some bitties and raised them), I'm really attached to my girls, and guy, and I want them healthy. I had no idea when I got them (the silkies), that their feet were covered in mites, I just thought silkie feet just looked that odd, it wasn't until I saw other pics here of silkies, and saw that their feet didn't quite look like mine. It just kinda gets me, cause I got them from a guy that has a well known name for having very healthy chickens and other critters.

I gave them (the silkies) a heavy vasolining last night, after I was told it was leg mites, the roo's toes are looking better already. Omw to the store for a small arsenal to treat them all.

Back
Top Bottom