1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal on my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buckbeak01, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Buckbeak01

Buckbeak01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    North Carolina
    I have two Australorp hens that recently started laying and some of the eggs have this cluster-like residue on them. Can someone help me understand what this is? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    When pullets start to lay their plumbing doesn't always work perfectly at the start. Takes them a little time to get it all working well. I sometimes get eggs like yours. Eggs are not always perfect, even after the plumbing is up to snuff. The ones in the store have been checked out so that they all look the same. The egg companies like to give you eggs that have the same size, appearance, and general shape. You don't see all the flawed eggs that are laid. The companies find other places to sell their not so perfect eggs. Your egg looks as though it has a bit of extra calcium build up on it. Nothing to worry about.

3. Buckbeak01

Buckbeak01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    North Carolina
    Great! Thanks for letting me know! :)

4. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Extra calcium build up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by