Is This Normal? Pekin Ducks Stopped Laying? . . . Or Are Eating Eggs?

FlyOverZone

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
I have 2 Pekin hens. During the Winter I would get an occasional egg, but about a month ago even the occasional egg stopped. I look around the pen every day and there are no duck eggs. I have 4 Easter Egger hens and their nest box is in the same pen. I don't notice any missing or partially eaten eggs to any sort. I put 2 chicken eggs inside the Duck "coop" where the ducks normally laid their eggs. I'll check in the morning to see if the chicken eggs are still their or gone. I'm new to all of this and don't really have a clue what I should do.

Not sure about ducks, some are seasonal layers.

If your chickens are older than 18 months they may not lay at all in winter.....
...if they are younger they may only lay sporadically during the winter if you're not using supplemental lighting.
EE can be sporadic layers anyway.

More info on your flock, their ages, laying history, coop and run space, free range or confined, what and how exactly you are feeding......might help figure out 'why'.

Last edited:
The chickens are laying fine. From 5 hens I'm getting about 20+ eggs a week this past month. They were ALL born around April 1, 2015. They are being fed an All flock and free range everyday. The Coop is in a Greenhouse during the Winter. The chicken eggs that I put in the duck coop were fine this morning. And I don't see a trace of eaten egg pieces. I don't know the normal laying season for Pekins, but it seems strange that as the days grow longer and the weather gets warmer they would suddenly STOP laying.

Back
Top Bottom