is this normal poop?

galaxy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013

Our year old black sex link hen stopped laying 4 days ago and now her poops look like this. She has consistently laid everyday since last fall so we are quite concerned. We fortified their run and coop so we thought it was due to the stress of the remodel....but I don't want to miss something if she is actually ill.

She is parasite free as far as I can tell...No mites, lice or worms. I know how to check for mites and lice, but not worms other than seeing them in the poo. There were none. I was worried about egg binding because she has never missed a day laying, so we gave her a warm bath, check in and around her vent. Everything is normal and I did not feel anything hard inside.

She is eating the same food, layer pellets with oyster shells plus whatever she finds in our yard when we let her roam, for over a year. We have one other buff orpington hen who is 2.5 years old and a 3 month old barred rock mix roo...both of those chickens are pooping the same as always.

If you need more details that might help please post and I will add to the discussion. If you've hard this experience before, please let us know. Thank you so much. Love this forum!

Last edited:
She is still not laying but I did check her for parasites. Her skin and feathers are beautiful and clean. We gave her a bath as that was suggested if she was egg bound. She enjoyed the bath and I checked her vent...it is clean and I did not feel anything hard inside to suggest egg binding. There weren't worms in her poop, so I don't suspect worms, but will continue to monitor her. If anyone else has sex links and/or has seen some funny poops like her please weigh in!

Back
Top Bottom