Is this normal? Puppies question

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
This is my first litterof my own. I have seen other people have litter of puppies but I have never seen this kind of action out of them.

Is it normal for puppies to JERK on mama's nipples during feeding? I breast fed all my kids and honestly sees that as an OMG OUCH kind of reaction but it doesn't bother my mama dog. Honestly, is it normal for puppies to do that? Just JERKING on mama constently?

She has bruises and deep red marks all over her nipples so this really strikes me as not normal but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Be sure she has enough milk to feed them--could be why they are too rough. Gently squeeze a nipple and a drop should show. If she has too many pups you may have to help with Esbalac or another puppy milk replacer.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, puppies aren't exactly gentle with mom. I find it amazing that the mom's will just lay there, like in a daze and take it. Reminds me of the sow with a ton of piglets at the fair.

I've heard that feeding the mother puppy chow will help her support the pups better, a little higher nutrition to boost milk and allow her to cope a bit better.
smile.png

Quote:
All puppies do that. It is normal. We have had many, many litters of puppies, and they ALL do that.

If Mom didn't have enough milk the puppies would cry constantly. Not just now and then when they loose a boobie, but constantly.

Last edited:
yeap that is normal and you are lucky your children did not do that to you. Mine did and I would have dreams that my breasts had fallen off and I was trying to put them back on. Och is the word.

Back
Top Bottom