1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is This Normal (Video Example Posted)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stormie, Mar 12, 2009.

1. stormie

stormie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    I posted early about how my three duck eggs have 10 days left till hatch date (
    March 22nd) and since yesterday all three have been rocking back and forth. I can't hear peeping or pecking yet, but should I stop turning them? Turn up the humidity? Wait?
    I already tried candling, not the best picture.

Anyway just concerned and would like to know if this is normal behavior. It's my second year hatching and this hasn't happened before.

Here's a video I just took of the most noticeable and active egg.

[​IMG]

Is this normal when it is officially 10 days till hatch date?

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    4 days before the hatch turn up the humidity and stop turning. what day are you on? duck eggs like it a tad more humid, i hear misting them during the hatch it recommended.

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's really interesting! I've never seen that. Well, the babies do dance pretty wildly in their eggs, perhaps yours are very wiggly? I don't think it's anything bad, and they're not ready to hatch. Candle them next time they do that, if the baby is squirming like crazy, there's your answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by