Is this normal Winter behavior?

blackacres

Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
Young, mixed breed flock, all under 6 months old. Last weekend we had temps below 10F with negative wind chills. None of the 23 left the coop for three days. We had a few nice days where temps reached 35F and they all came out. Today, we’re back to 10F. I just went out to lock up the coop and on the banty side, 8 of the 10 were standing outside, huddled together in a corner. The other two were on the roost in the coop. I put them all up and locked the pop door. Then I went to the “bigs” side and 10 were outside roosting and the other 3 were in the coop on the roost. Again, I put them all up and locked the door.

I went inside the coop to see if anything was amiss that may give me an explanation as to why there were so many outside. Everything was in place, found nothing out of the ordinary. I did notice that the bigs didn’t eat much today.

I’ve had these chickens since hatch. They’ve ALWAYS gone in the coop at dusk without persuasion. I’m probably worrying for nothing, but this seemed really odd to me.

This picture is how I found them. (Taken with flash so you can see them)
40FBC22B-4BDC-434E-9C88-E1FF4D8B39AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess you mean they always go in at dusk?
I don't think anything is out of the ordinary. Abrupt changes in temperature changes behavior.
I have to say I don't see much big ventilation.
Yes, I definitely meant dusk. Corrected!

That is the outdoor run. The entire top is open.

Do a mite check and mice check. That's all I can think of that could cause this other than what everyone else has said. I figure once not an issue, 2x's I need to look around, and 3x's I missed something and have a problem.
I’m definitely going to do a more thorough check in the morning when it’s light out and I can see more.

This is exactly why I’m out in the run/coop at least 3x daily. As soon as a behavior is exhibited, I’ll know. It’s probably also the same reason I’m so paranoid! 😆 Being a chicken mama for only 6 months has me watching everything very closely!

Yes, I definitely meant dusk. Corrected!

That is the outdoor run. The entire top is open.
Gotcha! I missed the snow the first time I looked at the picture.

When there is snow on the ground, I cover it with straw or at least create paths of straw so they can walk around in more comfort.

Gotcha! I missed the snow the first time I looked at the picture.

When there is snow on the ground, I cover it with straw or at least create paths of straw so they can walk around in more comfort.
I’ll get some straw this weekend to throw down for them. We’re expecting more snow. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom