1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teriz1091, Oct 14, 2016.

1. teriz1091

teriz1091 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Kansas
    We have a trio of hens. This red hen hasn't laid but one egg all summer long. She's also got something weird going on with the feathers on her chest. She's only 1yr old. I thought her laying would pick back up once the heat was over, but nothing so far.

[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    How does the skin look where the weird feathering is? Any abnormal growths or anything under the skin? Any other unusual experiences?

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    She could be molting. :)

MrsB

4. teriz1091

teriz1091 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Kansas
    Would molting last all summer? She's acting 100% normal, other than not laying & the messed up feathers. I'm no chicken expert, but she's let me feel the area & I don't feel anything off, but I haven't visually inspected her skin.

This is our first flock. What is molting? Probably a silly question.

5. BurntFeather

BurntFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    Molting differs between each chicken, but can last 12 week. Some chickens molt more than once a year and each molt in their own pattern. 10 of my ladies are still molting after 8 weeks and not laying eggs while 2 older hens were done after only 3 three weeks and still produced eggs the entire time.

6. BurntFeather

BurntFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    Molting is the natural shedding of old feathers and growth of new ones. It can occur at any time due to lack of water, food, or sudden change in normal lighting conditions. Broody hen molt furiously after their eggs have hatched as they return to normal routines. Feathers consist on 85% protein and feather productions places great demand on a chicken's energy and nutrient stores, because of this egg production is likely to drop. Molting takes 2-12 weeks or more. Newly emerging feathers have a vein-filled shaft/quill which can bleed if cut or injured.

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    My birds molted late summer and are still growing theirs feathers in.

During this time, I'll get two to four eggs a day from my 18 girls. -_-

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by