Is this normal?

PennyM

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Greenville, SC
Willie, my Welsummer laid both of these eggs today and they are very small. The smallest one is the size of a robin's egg and was in the nest box with the other four eggs. The slightly bigger one was in the run with a little peck hole on it. Since spring she has laid four normal eggs. She normally lays about one egg to the others' two or three.
IMG_5404.JPG

This is what they looked like cracked open
IMG_5407.JPG
IMG_5405.JPG

How old is she? The bottom picture shows meat spots in the yolk and white. Does this happen a lot? These are caused by tissue from the reproductive tract and getting into the egg. Totally harmless. I just scoop them out of the egg with a spoon and use the egg.

Sometimes a hen that's just starting to lay, or one that is nearing the end of her laying life will have odd things happen with their eggs. They will lay small eggs, sometimes two eggs in a day, shell less eggs, wrinkled eggs, and whatever else you can think of.

Your pics are good, except nothing there to give scale...
..coins work well for scale, are they like quarter, nickel, dime sized?

How old is she and how long has she been laying(in weeks)?

Do you have other birds laying normal eggs?

What and how exactly are you feeding?

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner, my internet was down for some reason yesterday afternoon and evening and it's very s l o w today. I didn't even think about scale size until it was too late. The smallest egg was the size of a robin egg and had a blood spot in it. The larger egg was just slightly smaller than a 50 cent piece. It had a hole pecked in it so I think that is pine shaving bits in it.

The chickens were all a year old at the end of February. They were all laying by August of last year and they all but one of my EEs went through a winter molt, not a real hard molt but they lost tail feathers and feathers on their heads, necks and some on their chest. They all stopped laying over winter except the EE that didn't molt. They all picked up laying this spring and except for the first eggs of the SLW, which were slightly smaller than normal, were normal size, including the welsummer. They do not free-range. I leave their food and water out 24/7 in hanging containers. We feed them all-flock crumbles. As for treats, I probably should cut back because I was giving the 5 girls about 1 cup a day of either meal worms, scratch grains or soldier fly larva. And since they don't free range, I'll pick a large bowl full of clover for them but then that is their treat for the day.

Thanks for answering @bobbi-j and @aart!

Last edited:
Maybe it was just a glitch, here is her egg today. It's the pointed one in the middle, lol, normally it's more egg-shaped. The SLW's is on the left and the Sussex is on the right.
IMG_5409 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom